Richmond Barracks.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Richmond Barracks.

Does anybody have any photos of Richmond Bks. they could post here. I never heard of this Bks, but I have come into possession of a book ( typed and photo copies ) giving the history of the place. It was formerly known as Keogh Bks. and was located around Inchicore, Goldenbridge, Kilmainham area. Closed by the Army in 1925 . Dublin Corp. built a block of flats known as St. Michaels Estate on the site. Maybe some of you older guys can remember it.

Not much but all I can get at the moment.

Comment

B Inman. Already have that info. Photos of the actual Bks. while the military were in situ, either Brit or Irish. Thanks for the effort.

Comment

Just a few more points on Richmond Barracks:-

1. Enquire with the Curator at Kilmainham Jail -- I recall one of the staff there giving a short lecture on Richmond Barracks about two years.

2. One of the first British military responses to the reports of the rising came from Richmond Barracks when a unit of the Royal Irish Regiment headed towards the city but quickly ran into fire from the South Dublin Union (now James's Hospital) and took some casualties both on the James St side and also when a party tried to storm the back gate near the Rialto bridge.

3. It was at Richmond Barracks that the noted Meath poet Francis Ledwidge enlisted in the British Army.

4. The school is a fine suriving building; there are also some walls and minor buildings on the periphery of the site that date from barrack times.

Comment

Originally posted by Drylander View Post
          It was formerly known as Keogh Bks.
          Possibly named after General Sir Alfred Keogh Late RAMC.

He was originally from Co Galway
          Last edited by rod and serpent; 12 September 2007, 00:17.

Comment

In 1923 it was renamed Keogh Bks. in honour of General Tom Keogh who fought in the War of Independence. Never heard of this man myself. C'mon guys. help me out here. Sadly still no photos.

Comment

Thanks to all who tried to help me out on Richmond Bks. Seems to hve come to a dead end. Dare I start again, and ask about Beggars Bush Bks,

Comment

That used to be a Government building. Not sure which Department...

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Hi there
                  Beggars Bush barracks is now a print museum and has retained a lot of the old buildings.Worth a visit.
                  regards
                  GttC

Comment

Much of Beggars Bush is still intact despite the unfortunate 1970s office block built in the middle. There is an ecletic range of museums, civil service offices and residential units within the site which happily retains its atmosphere of enclosure. As well as the National Print Museum located in the former Garrison church, there is the Irish Labour History Museum (currently undergoing refurbishment), the Geological Survey of Ireland and its museum, and various Labour Court offices.

Comment

There is a thread here that I started on Keogh, although I think it only pointed to modern photos and some period maps.
                      Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead

Comment

Ah this is what i like!! History!!! and my first post too!

OK assuming you know where the barricks was etc., and where the remaining school is, ill jump on a bit.

There are 2 remaining buildings of the original barricks - the first being what is now St. Michaels school (the future of that building as a school isn't looking too good). As far as I know it was a gym or something, but more research will yield answers there. The 2nd building is St. Michaels church, which was once within the walls of the barricks, but was later extended and converted to a roman catholic church.

There is a fantastic book out there called 'Dublin 1910 - 1940, shaping the city and the suburbs' by Ruth McManus. In this book you'll find a lot of info. relating to when the barricks was closed and developed, including lots of ordinance survey drawings. You'll be able to get that book from your library soon enough once I return it next friday!

Also there is a local history group in Inchicore, who held an exehibition quite recently in the new hall up beside whats left of the barricks. They have a number of photographs that im sure they could show you and get copied. I'll try and dig out a contact for them thisevening for you, although a google search might turn up something.

One of the features of the barricks, and i've seen pictures of it myself, was a huge archway leading into the barricks at the back of the church, what was called Keogh Square at some point in time. There are pictures around of DeValera under arrest at this arch with the barricks in the backround, and also pictures of the arch on its own.

There is a group of people at the moment working on trying to have a replica arch encorporated into the new developments of St. Michaels Estate.

If you're looking for any newspaper articles there's a couple in my grannies house relating to the barricks. Her father and 2 uncles were arrested there in 1921 and brought over to frauncoch (spelling??) in wales. One of her brothers Richard Murphy was shot either in Richmond or wales and there's a couple of articles on it if you're bothered. Im sure a gogle search will again yield more on similar topics.

Also what was the marching grounds in the barricks was built on in 1929, one of the earliest council estates in the city, part of 'the scheme'. This includeds Bulfin road, Kickham road, Southern Cross Ave., etc...... although im straying off the point here.

Hope thats of some use to you... if i come across more ill post it for you!

Comment

Might as well throw up a few small things more:

'Barricks turned into houses: 200 people provided for in Dublin'

Thats the headline from the Irish Times on April 9th, 1925.... referring to Keogh Barricks...

It was in June 1924 that WT Cosgrave decided to hand over Keogh Barricks for the development of houses and flats. He was president of the executive council of the Irish Free State.

Also, Keogh barricks is still on lease to the council, from October 1924 for 98 years.... thats nearly up.....

The Officers Mess in Keogh Barricks was rented to the City Of Dublin Child Welfare Comittee for use as a milk depot...

Comment

Originally posted by Victor View Post
                            There is a thread here that I started on Keogh, although I think it only pointed to modern photos and some period maps.
                            Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead

Comment

Is the Poster 'Drylander' still posting, and if so , is he still looking for Photos of Keogh Square? I ask because last weekend i was on a trip to Scotland and visited Stirling Castle , which is the HQ of the Argyll and Sutherland Highland Regimant. Whilst looking at the exhibits I came across a photo from 1904 of the Regiment on Parade before posting to South Africa for the Boer war. When i looked at the photo somethinmg made me look closer and in the background was the Cottages where my Grand-Parents lived.

Comment

Working...
                              X