Ordnance/artillery barracks Limerick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ordnance/artillery barracks Limerick

Does anyone have any information on this barracks in Limerick city? Situationed on mulgrave st. It was definately there in 1837 and was burnt down following the evacuation of the anti treaty forces july 1922. Its now used as a car park and some of the barrack buildings are still in existence but very run down this is 1 of 4 old photos I have came across of it and it has the most detail thanks
    I can't make you do anything but i can make you wish you had.

Just a few things I found online, maybe you can find a bit more info.

http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/read...-11/1005926602
    http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/read...-04/1113502009
    http://www.askaboutireland.ie/asset?id=5599

"A HIGHLY interesting and original account of the Civil War in Limerick is published in the latest edition of the Old Limerick Journal (No 38), now on sale in city bookshops."
    http://www.limerick.com/history/fourthsiege.html

No 38 is the winter 2002 publication, I'm sure the library would keep them.
    "Attack your attic with a Steyr....as seen on the Late Late Show..."

Comment

Is that the building next to the prison? Used as a Bingo Hall now.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Crumbs says its a car park now, think it may be the place directly across the road from the fire station, the big yard that sells (sold?) sand and gravel. Is the bingo hall part of that complex?
        Attached Files
        Last edited by concussion; 19 October 2007, 01:03.
        "Attack your attic with a Steyr....as seen on the Late Late Show..."

Comment

There was a military history of Limerick produced for the treaty celebrations(king John etc, not dev). I'll try and get my hands on it over the weekend. An Cosantoir had a special issue too.

Comment

There is a band hall of St. Johns Brass and Reed Band there right next to the CYMS Hall and the gravel yard on the other side. Plenty of the old British barracks still in evidence
            "Never believe anything in politics until it has been officially denied."

Otto Von Bismark

Comment

Thanks very much for that lads. The barracks was built I think to replace the aging citadel at the site of St. John's Hospital. I asked some people in the location if the bingo hall, CYMS hall and small yard were aprt of the barracks originally but they didn't know unfortunately. I have two other photos but they are more related to the men that served there rather then the structure. www.conniemackey.com has good info on the strand barracks. I took phots with an old camera of the barracks as it is today so once i scan them i will upload some.
              Attached Files

Comment

Speaking of prisons, did you perform the nuptials yet Kermit?

Comment

Its hard to see but the stables are at the south of the enclosure. I will upload some photos when i scan them onto the computer. I dont know if the land the CYMS hall is on was originally part of the barracks. Cushy Ryan in his account "the fourth siege of limerick" spoke of Officers walking down the steps of the officers quarters. is this an indication that the CYMS building (red brick) was originally the officers quarters? The arsenal, enclosing wall, guardrooms, gatehouses, and several other buildings are visible or in use today. It is called Costello's yard today. There is a memorial carver working there a car spare parts shop a mechanic and a few other businesses, not to forget the car park.

Comment

You definitely are.

Comment

I tool photos of the Main Gate earlier. Much of the structure remains of what is seen in post 2.

Comment

Working...
                      X