Padres

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Padres

People have different opinions on Padres/Chaplains.

Some regard them as odd, and don't take them seriously.

But when the chips are down, they often come up with the goods.

Check these two out -

Buy anabolic steroids in UK, Europe online steroids pharmacy, trusted suppliers. Order steroids online in UK. We Offers legit anabolic steroids, Proviron, Growth Hormone, Methandienone, buy HGH in USA. With this disorder are removed from are looking to gain lean.

I first heard about Pugh on the BBC Sunday TV program 'Songs of Praise'. The presenter claimed that as the ship began to sink, Pugh and the airmen trapped inside could be heard singing 'Rock of Ages'.

Both brave men.
    'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

The story of Fr Willie Doyle is an excellent example of what should be an army padre should be. He should have got the VC,but fot some reason it was denied him. http://www.ireland.com/focus/thesomme/p6sideR.htm
    and
    http://freespace.virgin.net/sh.k/frwdoyle.html

Comment

I read a fantstic but some what short book on the role of the army padre. The Cross and the Sword: Catholic Chaplains in the forces by Francis Walmsley, Tom Johnstone and James Hagerty.

Comment

Rod,

Thanks for that.

Padres do their duty for God in the most dangerous of situations. No-one could fail to be moved by Doyle's devotion to his men, and to his God.

And I must get that book.

Comment

Something that I came across a few years ago for my collection. Also if you ever visit Poperinge go to Toc H, the story of Tubby Clayton is fascinating.
          Last edited by WES; 25 January 2008, 16:38.
          The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them: that's the essence of inhumanity.
          (George Bernard Shaw, Playwright, 1856 - 1950)

Comment

WES,

Thanks for that.

I'm hoping to go to France next year to visit the WW1 battlefields, and hopefully Normandy.

I was'nt aware of Clayton or Toc H, but I'll make a point of checking that out.

This is another well known WW1 Padre -

Theres a link to his poetry - check out 'His Mate'.

Comment

Just to clarify. Poperinge is in Belgium about eight miles from Ieper and about and hour and a half drive from the Somme.
              The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them: that's the essence of inhumanity.
              (George Bernard Shaw, Playwright, 1856 - 1950)

Comment

Originally posted by spider View Post
                WES,

Thanks for that.

I'm hoping to go to France next year to visit the WW1 battlefields, and hopefully Normandy.

I was'nt aware of Clayton or Toc H, but I'll make a point of checking that out.

This is another well known WW1 Padre -

Theres a link to his poetry - check out 'His Mate'.
                Post some of your pics here Spider

Comment

Slightly of topic but a funny incident back in the late 70s invoving the 5th battallion padre (whos name escapes me ) .Several of us from the 5th batt were asked to attend the funeral at Mt Jerome cemetry of a 2nd batt privare soldier who died in tragic circumstances.On thy way into the gate of the graveyard ,the padre asked would i hold the chalice for him which i was only to glad to do .Just before the volly was to be fired over the grave of the deceased, and while holding the chalice, i had this terrible urge to scratch my head, so i removed my beret .For some reason the hundred or so soldiers standing around including the firing party saw this as part of the ceremony and on cue all removed their berets while looking at me.It was hilarious because i knew little then about graveyard protocall and i suspect they guys looking at me thought i did . LOL .

Comment

Originally posted by haribo View Post
                    Slightly of topic but a funny incident back in the late 70s invoving the 5th battallion padre (whos name escapes me ) .Several of us from the 5th batt were asked to attend the funeral at Mt Jerome cemetry of a 2nd batt privare soldier who died in tragic circumstances.On thy way into the gate of the graveyard ,the padre asked would i hold the chalice for him which i was only to glad to do .Just before the volly was to be fired over the grave of the deceased, and while holding the chalice, i had this terrible urge to scratch my head, so i removed my beret .For some reason the hundred or so soldiers standing around including the firing party saw this as part of the ceremony and on cue all removed their berets while looking at me.It was hilarious because i knew little then about graveyard protocall and i suspect they guys looking at me thought i did . LOL .

Comment

Originally posted by haribo View Post
                      Slightly of topic but a funny incident back in the late 70s ....
                      I know a lad who's FN broke open accidentally a crucial moment in the funeral process and the mechanism fell into the grave. Ceremonial wsa suspended while the problem was solved.
                      sigpic
                      Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
                      My favourite moment was when the
                      Originally posted by hedgehog
                      red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

Originally posted by WES View Post
                        Just to clarify. Poperinge is in Belgium about eight miles from Ieper and about and hour and a half drive from the Somme.
                        Thanks WES.

Rod - yes I'll do that.

If its going to go wrong, it will happen at a funeral !!

Comment

Originally posted by spider View Post
                          Thanks WES.

Rod - yes I'll do that.

If its going to go wrong, it will happen at a funeral !!

Spider, nice one thanks

Comment

Don't forget this chap

Meh.

Comment

Met a fascinating man in Washington DC this summer ... he had been a Catholic chaplain with the US Air Force for 20 years. Served virtually on every continent and, because of his roving commission, saw more than any single nco or officer might have. Ministered to airmen in ICBM silos, visted jungle camps in central america, flew in just about every kind of transport and liaision aircraft, experienced inflight refuellings across the atlantic ... lovely man with a great life story ...

Comment

Working...
                              X