Need help with photo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with photo

I need some help with identifying the person in the photo below. This is a press photo from around 1922, the notes on the back of the picture says that it is George Gavan Duffy, minister of foreign affairs in the new Irish cabinet, and the photo is dated 2-24-22. I personally think it is not Gavan Duffy, the few photos I have seen of him look nothing like this person. To me it looks like it could possibly be General Richard Mulcahy, but I can find very few pictures of him to be sure. Any help would be appreciated.

the hitler tash really didnt suit the big fella!
    "Many a time a man's mouth broke his nose"

"Don't waste money buying expensive binoculars. Simply stand next to the object you wish to view."

Comment

Hi there
      Are you sure you ahve the right Duffy? What about the guy who formed the Blueshirts?
      regards
      GttC

Comment

Jaysus Mick looks like he's just let rip a rank fart and the rest have just got it....
        "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
          Hi there
          Are you sure you ahve the right Duffy? What about the guy who formed the Blueshirts?
          regards
          GttC
          that would be Eoin O'Duffy, former civil war national army commander and garda commissioner. units under his command committed some of the atrocities carried out in kerry against IRA volunteers. it stuck against him for many years after.
          An army is power. Its entire purpose is to coerce others. This power can not be used carelessly or recklessly. This power can do great harm. We have seen more suffering than any man should ever see, and if there is going to be an end to it, it must be an end that justifies the cost. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Comment

Originally posted by kermit
            This is Mulcahy

I don't think it is the same man. His ears are not as big, and they have different noses.

The original man must have been in the Signal Corps.

On second thought, they do bear a resemblance.
            The more I look at this photo the more I am convinced the man in my picture is General Mulcahey, I see a strong resemblance in the face particularly the eyes and ears, also the collar and the shoulder straps of the uniforms bear the same insignia. The 3 bars on the shoulders signify a rank of General I believe although I'm open to correction. Incidentally does anyone know how many generals there were in the army around 1922 and what were their names? There can't have been that many.

This is the note attached to the back of the picture, I think there is very little doubt that it is not Gavan Duffy in the picture,

Comment

Working...
            X