X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ó Cuív backs plan to restore historic fort - The Irish Times

Ó Cuív backs plan to restore historic fort
    Barry Roche, Southern Correspondent, on Bere Island, Co Cork

The Minister for Community, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs, Éamon Ó Cuív, has pledged his support for a project to restore a historic fort on Bere Island off the west Cork coast with a view to developing it as a major tourist attraction.

He expressed confidence that Fort Berehaven could be restored and opened to the public on a phased basis over the next decade at relatively minimal cost to the State while providing a significant boost to the local economy on the island off the Beara Peninsula.

"The history here is unbelievable - a fort was built here initially in response to the French under Gen Hoche sailing into Bantry Bay in 1796 and the subsequent United Irishmen rising of 1798 and then in the 19th century, the fort was developed.

"A lot of the fortifications here date from the time of the first World War and, of course, it was one of the three remaining parts of the 26 counties that were in British hands until it was handed over in 1938, so there's a great history to the place," he said.

Mr Ó Cuív was speaking during a visit to the fort with the Bere Island Projects Group who gave him a guided tour of the four-acre fortification which occupies high ground on the eastern end of the 9.5km (six miles) long island which is home to some 200 people. Local historian Ted O'Sullivan points out in his book A Brief History of Bere Island that much of the modern fortification of the site began with a compulsory purchase order in 1898 which cleared tenants from the eastern end of the island.

The reason for the fortifications, which included seven gun batteries, was to protect British dreadnoughts as they needed 48 hours of "elaborate protection while routine maintenance had to be carried out", said Mr O'Sullivan in his book.

Fort Berehaven is owned by the Department of Defence, which also has a training camp on the island but, according to John Walsh of the Bere Island Group Project, the fort has been unused since the 1970s and has great tourist potential.

© 2008 The Irish Times

http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/ire...301321225.html
    "Why, it appears that we appointed all of our worst generals to command the armies and we appointed all of our best generals to edit the newspapers. I mean, I found by reading a newspaper that these editor generals saw all of the defects plainly from the start but didn't tell me until it was too late. I'm willing to yield my place to these best generals and I'll do my best for the cause by editing a newspaper"
    Gen. Robert E. Lee

Great idea just hope that he does not ask for any funding from the DOD.

Comment

He is always in the ear of the Islanders. He'd promise them independence if they asked for it.
      It is a great amenity though. If anyone is on the island its well worth a trip to the Martello tower, if only for the views alone

http://gallery.irishmilitaryonline.c...g2_itemId=2909
      Last edited by Goldie fish; 6 February 2008, 22:14.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Ive heard that the fort on the tip of the Island near the camp is really cool if slightly overgrown apparently some naughty boys went over the really rusted iron bridge and had a look around.
        Lifes a bitch, so be her pimp!

Comment

Hi there
          Would he be better off restoring Davis? open it as a limited tourist site?
          regards
          GttC

Comment

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
            Hi there
            regards
            GttC
            Then were would FIBUA (or whatever they call it now) be done?

Comment

Originally posted by kermit
              Davis is not the only place in the country where FIBUA is done on a regular basis.
              Limerick on a Saturday night doesn't count

Comment

Hi there
                regards
                GttC
                Don't you mean Camden?

Comment

No.I meant Davis/Carlisle.Camden is supposed to be in very poor order.I haven't been there in years so I don't know what it's like right now. At least Davis' gun emplacements are reasonably intact.
                  regards
                  GttC

Comment

No.I meant Davis/Carlisle.Camden is supposed to be in very poor order.I haven't been there in years so I don't know what it's like right now. At least Davis' gun emplacements are reasonably intact.
                    regards
                    GttC
                    Not a lot left there either, I'm afraid. The last 6'' gun is well stripped. Two things I did miss the last time I was there, was that there is a room where old photo's and such like are kept. There is also a search light in some state of repair, but due to time constraints was unable to see both locations. Has anyone else seen them?

Comment

Yes. And even though the remaining 6" is stripped, all the working parts are still available. They'll be safe enough while the current individual remains in charge of the facility.

Comment

Most interesting on Fort Davis/Carlisle is what's left over of the oldest King's work also know as Fort Corkbeg dating from 1553. Is there more news about the plans of Ó Cuív for Fort Berehaven?

Comment

Nationwide, last week.
                          http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/1212/nat...62608,null,228

Comment

Great memories of this place think we did 2 camps there back 1980,s
                            Bohs till I die

Comment

Working...
                            X