Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MAYO PEACE PARK PROJECT, CASTLEBAR, Co. MAYO.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MAYO PEACE PARK PROJECT, CASTLEBAR, Co. MAYO.

I believe this might be of interest to Forum members:

http://www.mayomemorialpeacepark.org/tour.html

"In 1999, Castlebar man Michael Feeney*, who is now the Chairman of the Mayo Peace Park committee, wrote a letter to the Connaught Telegraph newspaper.

He was hoping to get in touch with other people who would be interested in developing a Mayo World War Memorial, to commemorate all those from the County, who served and died in wars in the cause of world peace.

In November of 1999, He organised what was said to be, the first ever Mayo World War Remembrance Mass, this mass was very well received, and it lit a torch that has burned brightly ever since. He called a public meeting on Thursday the 22nd of August 2002, to set up a committee to develop a Mayo War Memorial, the meeting was well attended, and the decision to promote the erection of a suitable war memorial was formally taken at that meeting.
    * Mr. Feeny is co-author, along with Mr. P.J. Clark of the book:

MAYO COMRADES OF THE GREAT WAR 1914 - 1919

ISBN 0-9-9554368-0-X

In a recent email to my brother Kieron, (ex 28th Inf Bn., UN Vet. & Castlebar man) who is the secretary in London of the:

UNITED NATIONS VETERANS ASSOCIATION LONDON*

* Not to be confused with the Irish United Nations Veterans Association. (I.U.N.V.A.),

the following was stated in an email:16 Feb 2008

"Dear Kieron,

I am delighted to inform you that we are officially opening the Mayo Peace Park, Garden of Remembrance in Castlebar on Tuesday the 7th of October 2008 at 3pm.

The President of Ireland, will perform the opening, we will be honouring all Mayo soldiers who died on foreign battlefield with the Allied and Commonwealth Forces.

There will be a huge diplomatic and international attendance present. We are honouring all who served and died with the Irish Army on U.N. operations, as you probably realise two young Mayo Soldiers were killed in the Lebanon in recent years. . . . . . .

. . . . . . we received the date from the President last week, we are having our Initial planning meeting on Monday night, and we will have serious work on details for a few weeks.

I will furnish you with everything at that point and we would be absolutely delighted to have your members here, the Irish Guards Regiment are sending the Regimental Drums and Pipes Band over for the occasion, we will have the Band of the Western Command from the Irish Army in attendance together with and a 100 strong Presidential Guard of Honour.

I have indications that people are travelling from many parts of the world to join us, I also have had many regimental enquiries. . . . .

. . . . I envisage that there will be a Remembrance service the night before, with a proper social evening afterwords. We may have a small parade with the various bands to the park on the day. We will be having a V.I.P. Dinner, on the night, where group tables will be available,

Michael Feeney Chairman / Project Director.
    I will post updates as they become available

Connaught Stranger.
Working...
X