Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Photos of Free State takeover of the Curragh Camp & Portlaoise (Maryborough) Barracks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photos of Free State takeover of the Curragh Camp & Portlaoise (Maryborough) Barracks

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could give me information on where I could get photos of the handover of the Curragh Camp and perhaps Portlaoise barracks by the British in 1922. I am also interested in photographs of the men and officers of the 3rd Southern Division (Offaly, Laois & North Tipperary) area of the Army during the Civil war period. I am researching the history of the 3rd Southern Division with a view to publishing a book at some stage.

Any advice welcome.

Thanks

Mike

The guy who owns the barber shop in the Curragh (Reggies) is big into the history of the place. I'm sure he could help you with that. He's got some photos of what you're looking for up as far as I remember.

Comment

Originally posted by Miker View Post
      Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could give me information on where I could get photos of the handover of the Curragh Camp and perhaps Portlaoise barracks by the British in 1922. I am also interested in photographs of the men and officers of the 3rd Southern Division (Offaly, Laois & North Tipperary) area of the Army during the Civil war period. I am researching the history of the 3rd Southern Division with a view to publishing a book at some stage.

Any advice welcome.

Thanks

Mike
      The DF Library in the Curragh..They have Photos of that time period on the walls..

or try this

* Information Officer
      * Public Relations Section,
      * Defence Forces HQ,
      * Parkgate,
      * Infirmary Road,
      * Dublin 7,
      * Ireland

* Tel: 01 8042690
      * Fax: 01 6779018
      * Email: armypr@iol.ie
      Last edited by Craghopper; 24 July 2008, 15:27.

Comment

Thanks for your help.

Comment

A Great grand uncle of mine, a Capt Sam Irwin was i/c of a party of troops whom took over the Curragh, i have a picture of him in unifrom and some written material about the take over and the march out of the brits. Pike.

Comment

Hi pike,

Many thanks for your reply. I would be grateful for any pictures and information that you have on Sam Irwin and the Curragh handover. If you sent me a private email yesterday I managed to zap my inbox so lost my emails. I sent you a private email reply with email address that you can contact me on.

Thanks again.

Mike

Comment

Curragh Handover

I have a copy of some newsreel footage showing the handover. I won't try posting it here as it's a biggish file, PM me and I will send you a copy.

Comment

made enquires around Portlaoise,and was inform that most of the material is inCathal Brugha Barrack,Archives.But will keep checking as I have to meet with a old timer from there.Will keep you posted

Comment

Many thanks for your reply. I would be grateful for any pictures and information that you have on Sam Irwin and the Curragh handover. If you sent me a private email yesterday I managed to zap my inbox so lost my emails. I sent you a private email reply with email address that you can contact me on
                  .i would also appriate same set of pictures as they may contain phtos regarding armour and Lancias of the time would be of great interest. will supplu an email to all those offering info

[
                  Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

I am attempting to compile a location inventory of old army barracks in Ireland in Google Earth. Can anyone assist with the exact location of the Portlaoise (Maryborough) barracks?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Hi Laird,

No problem. The military barracks in Portlaoise was where the present day Garda Station is.
                      It is at the top of James Fintan Lawlor avenue at the junction with the Abbeyleix road.

Regards

Miker

Comment

I'm obliged to you, Miker. I was a bit stuck with the precise location of this particular site.

Thanks for taking the trouble.

Comment

Working...
                        X