Holidays in Normandy.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holidays in Normandy.

I'm hoping this is the right place for this question, No doubt it'll be reassigned if not.

I'm Heading to France Next month, planning to Visit Normandy Beaches etc, generally a military history tour, of sorts. Hopefully by then summer will have arrived.

I know some here have been there many times in the past, so I'm wondering what should I definitely visit, and what is worth skipping?
    Bought my "rough guide" today, and am planning a rough itinerary. I'll be renting a car there and taking in as much as I can, for the week I'm over, all at a leisurely pace of course.

Thanks in advance.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Every beach has it's own museum, all of which are a must. And you have the airborne museums at Pegasus Bridge (lots of Paddies on the walls there) and St Mere Eglise. The Longues battery still has the guns in place. Pointe Du Hoc is a must. And there's an excellent invasion museum in Bayeux, plus the Bayeux Tapestry Museum. The American Cemetery over Omaha Beach is a must see also.

I thought the Merville Battery a disappointment.
    sigpic
    Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
    My favourite moment was when the
    red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

Thats exactly what I'm looking for, Thanks GH.

Comment

try to get to Menin gate for 2000hrs any night well worth a visit.
        it will be long, it will be hard, and there will be no withdrawl
        Winston churchill

Comment

Went to Du Hoc on school tour almost 10 years ago now. I'll second groundhogs recommendations. Well worth it
          "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

Ah yeah....but sure didn't he say that he was renting a car...and it would be a lot less in miles anyway!!

Comment

Given that I'm planning to stay not far from Eurodisney, i'll be about half way between either. I'll see how I'm getting on, and act accordingly. I have no timetable, and nobody elses schedule to adhere to.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                Given that I'm planning to stay not far from Eurodisney, i'll be about half way between either. I'll see how I'm getting on, and act accordingly. I have no timetable, and nobody elses schedule to adhere to.
                Well you'll be a 4 hour drive from Normandy then, at least. It'll be easier and faster to get to Ieper and a stone's throw from the Somme. Driving the direct route to Normandy you'll need a GPS to get through Rouen.
                sigpic
                Say NO to violence against Women

My favourite moment was when the
                red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

Done in in 2006, Stayed in Dives and started at Pegas Bridge and Display and went somewhere east each day, Pegas Bridge excellent display of british parachute regiment equipment and a history of the first battle of d day

then the beaches each beach has a display of some sort comprising of armour weapons ect.

Bayeaux has a good display of tanks both allied and some panzers. also the british graveyard is worth a visit Much more personal than the american one look out for the irish names and addresses on some of the headstones. groups of headstones are joined together to signify a crew of a tank or plane that died together.

Omaha beach and graveyard is something else rows and rows of crosses with the odd star of david and at least one cresent. simple yet awe inspiring. brings the whole operation into a human context. dont miss it

St Mare Eglise well worth a visit 101st and 82nd US airborne troops display the whole town is dedicated to the airbourne. good display of equipment uniforms vehicles etc

Dont waste time on Big Red One museaum small shed little to see

Many towns between Pegasus and St Mare have smaller displays some very good.

German graveyard worth a visit as are the mulberry harbours. Point De Hoc is the only place the french left as the US airforce left it on D Day. the craters and smashed bunkers are worth seeing.

Also the local food is good as is the wine.

Even my wife enjoyed and the kids can now name several versions of the Sherman Tank

I have been to eurodisney, the beaches at Normandy are a far better attraction and a damn sight cheaper. The village of enflour is very nice and a break from the D Day stuff

enjoy Vive La France

Comment

I'm not actually staying at eurodisney, just that general part of france.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                      I'm not actually staying at eurodisney, just that general part of france.
                      was there this time last year i was the biggest kid in the park worth every penny. didnt stay at disney but at a parc 30 mins away

Comment

Not Berny Riviere by any chance?

Comment

Arromanches is quite good, if the tide is out you can run up the beach waltering to your hearts content.
                          There is a good museum there.

I have not found the small museums in the small towns usually inland,to be much good, in St. Mere Eglise they have photos around the town taken in 1944, so you can get a then and now perspective, there is also a lovely cake shop on the main street.

I f you get to Cherbourg La Cite de la Mer is worth a visit, the Sub "Le Redoutable" is the best part, don't be surprised if you can't find the Reactor room.

If you want to splash out on a great meal in Cherbourg, "La Regence"on the waterfront (quai de Caligny) is the place.

Enjoy.

Comment

place i stayed was estang de fleurs i think with siblu

Comment

So Far so Good. Today I Got in Vimy Ridge and Messines; Tomorrow I may go further north: Tryin to get uset to micro mini car on the wrong side of the road is fun, specially when you rely on satnav for directiones: It dont shozw stop signs

Comment

Working...
                              X