Ypres

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ypres

Members of the 27th Bn will be attending annivarsary events of the 16th Irish Division in Ypres this October,departing Dublin for 5 days, next year some of us Members are planning on going on a trip covering Normandy, Ypres, Verdun and Paris, this will be an expected 8 day tour and flights in and out of Paris, culminating in the last two days in Paris, prices have yet to be arranged as costs increase all the time, it will be flghts, hotel on a B+B basis and all travel included. Pike.

That's a lot to take in in a week.
    sigpic
    Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
    My favourite moment was when the
    Originally posted by hedgehog
    red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

Try to find some before and after photos of Ypres - its has been rebuilt in its former style, but aparently in 1919 nothing stood more than shoulder high.

I was there for the Messines Tower opening and went to the Menin Gate that morning. Lots of Irish names on part of it. I later learned that Queen Elizabeth had been there at the same time as me, but I didn't see here.

Be wary of speaking French to the locals - the town is Ieper, not Ypres - they would much prefer you to speak English to French. The bus driver "couldn't understand me" when I spoke French. Then some ould fella gave out to him when he realised we were Irish, although he assumed we were protestants.
      Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead

Comment

Ieper is a nice town you will enjoy your stay there . Lads from the 9FAR(now 54FAR) made a few trips there along with a few folks from 19BN Make sure to attend last post ceremony

Comment

Originally posted by pike View Post
          Members of the 27th Bn will be attending annivarsary events of the 16th Irish Division in Ypres this October,departing Dublin for 5 days, next year some of us Members are planning on going on a trip covering Normandy, Ypres, Verdun and Paris, this will be an expected 8 day tour and flights in and out of Paris, culminating in the last two days in Paris, prices have yet to be arranged as costs increase all the time, it will be flghts, hotel on a B+B basis and all travel included. Pike.
          It's marvellous to see such a healthy interest in our military heritage and I commend you for it but if you'll take some advice from someone who has been visiting the battlefields for a number of years, a six day tour of three major battlefields, taking into account the distance between them, is quite frankly unworkable especially if you want to explore. Having said that enjoy the experience and if you catch the bug like I did you'll be returning for many years to come.
          The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them: that's the essence of inhumanity.
          (George Bernard Shaw, Playwright, 1856 - 1950)

Comment

On a similiar vein, myself, GH, and Herr Flick are off to Gallipoli tomorrow. If anyone would like a headstone or a name on a memorial photographed just PM me.
            The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them: that's the essence of inhumanity.

Comment

Originally posted by kermit
              I'll have a headstone please
              Yes, very funny. I'll have to be more specific in future.

Comment

Originally posted by WES View Post
                On a similiar vein, myself, GH, and Herr Flick are off to Gallipoli tomorrow. If anyone would like a headstone or a name on a memorial photographed just PM me.
                An Amazing tribute there is on the memorial at Anzac Cove:

Those heroes that shed their blood and lost their lives… you are now lying in the soil of a friendly country. Therefore rest in peace. There is no difference between the Johnnies and the Mehmets where they lie side by side here in this country of ours… You the mothers who sent their sons from far away countries, wipe away your tears. Your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace. Having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well.

Mustafa Kemal Atatürk
                Last edited by pmtts; 6 September 2008, 20:17.

Comment

Working...
                X