Can anyone identify this medal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone identify this medal?

Hi, I hope regular posters will not mind if I use your forum to assist me with the identification of the medal below.

It was found in my parents' house a couple of years ago following their deaths and no one seems to know anything about it. I'm quite confident that it is commemorative rather than military but a poster on another forum directed me here for help.

I actually have a collection of about 60 war medals from around the world and this medal togeter with one from Italy are the only two which I do not know anything about.

The phrasing on the back is awkward and below it, what looks like a scratch, is actually the words 'An Iodail an tir a dheanta' in the tiniest writing I have ever seen.

Many thanks for your time. Hoping sincerely the images load, if not please ignore.

Think it may well be a commemorative medal, seeing as

'An Iodail an tir a dheanta'
    means

" MADE IN ITALY ".............
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

I'm sure it isn't a issued a DF issued medal.

Comment

Good to see another medal collector on here, I collect military medals of Europe including Italy,

This appears to be an unofficial commemorative piece,

I am sure it was never for issue to DF members.

The ribbon could originaly

be that of the British South Africa Medal which used the

same colours as the National Flag of Ireland.

Connaught Stranger.

Comment

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
          Think it may well be a commemorative medal, seeing as

means

" MADE IN ITALY ".............
          Yeah, it bears no resemblance to any of the 1916/WOI medals or the anniversary '66 and 71 versions. Interesting thing about the made in Italy bit is that a poster on another forum informed me that this habit of insisting on Irish being on imports was part of a policy which dates the medal betweeen 1932 and 1966.

Comment

Originally posted by Connaught Stranger View Post
            Good to see another medal collector on here, I collect military medals of Europe including Italy,

This appears to be an unofficial commemorative piece,

I am sure it was never for issue to DF members.

The ribbon could originaly

be that of the British South Africa Medal which used the

same colours as the National Flag of Ireland.

Connaught Stranger.

I've held that theory about the ribbon myself that it was either South African or the Indian Independence Medal but how it would have ended up in my parents' house with this medal I can't begin to guess.

As for the Italian medal I mentioned, I do not have an image but if you are interested, it is of fairly standard size, circular and bronze. On the face is a depiction of 6 or 7 semi clad Roman men carrying possibly laurel branches chasing/attacking a topless woman who is running along side a hound. The men also seem to be carrying one of their number shoulder high in celebration and the whole scene is in front of columns and arches. Below is the inscription 'Trivmphe'.

On the reverse, around the extremity is a garland of foilage with what looks like cedar or olive trees. There is a shield at the top with a simple cross and in the middle the words, 'Ministero Della Gverra' which I presume is War Ministry.

From that you may even be able to tell me what conflict the award is from. I'm not, as you can see, very well informed in the area although my interest is strong.

Are there any sites dedicated to the identification of medals which you know about?

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
              I'm sure it isn't a issued a DF issued medal.
              Thanks, I'm sure you are probably right.

Comment

how did you come across it
                Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                  how did you come across it
                  The Irish one found in Parents' house, no political leanings in either so it's a mystery, grandparents, it's possible some of them could have been in some cultural or political group but no Irish military connection barring a grandfather in the RIC. Unlikely the RIC minted a medal with Pearse on it.

The Italian medal was a present someone picked up at a market while on holiday there.

Comment

If no one on here can identify the medal

and you subsequently identify it

will you come on and let us know the story behind it

please

best of luck horse
                    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                    Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                      If no one on here can identify the medal

and you subsequently identify it

will you come on and let us know the story behind it

please

best of luck horse
                      I will indeed, thanks for the interest.

Comment

It might be the 1991 medal minted to celebrate the 75th annv., of the 1916 rising,there were only 1000 medals minted.Is it light in weight say about 1 oz?

Comment

Would a member of the Irish military history in Collins barracks be able to know?
                          Facts are meaningless - you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!

Comment

Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!

Try this crowd

Comment

Originally posted by cha the tel View Post
                              It might be the 1991 medal minted to celebrate the 75th annv., of the 1916 rising,there were only 1000 medals minted.Is it light in weight say about 1 oz?

Think it is much older for a couple of reasons.
                              1. The 'An Iodail an tir a dheanta' is apparently an import requirement which ended in the 60s.
                              2. It was found in a box with a Dublin Eucharistic Congress Medal from the 20s and neither looked as if they had seen the light of day for decades.
                              3. Funny you should mention the weight as it is really quite heavy for a medal of its size. Unfortunately I have no way of weighing it accurately at the moment.

Comment

Working...
                              X