Revoked medals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Revoked medals

Hi guys, I'm trying to research cases of medals being awarded, particularly VC and MOH where the medal was subsequently revoked on examination of the incident. I have heard of at least one VC being taken back where the actions were subsequently deemed to be reckless rather than heroic. I know that there were a large number of MOH revoked during the civil war in the US, but I'm after individual cases rather than unjustified awards enmasse. Seeing as these cases are rarely discussed due to their inherent sensitivity, it is difficult to find links or references to them and I would greatly appreciate if anyone has any information or knows of any publications that detail the cases.

Cheers.

the history channel ran a great programme on the VC

one of the first to be awarded was taken back because the Naval Officer who received it

was involved in a scandal

it wasnt the usal scandal involving sailors and other men and lubricant
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

8 VC's have been forfeited because of conviction of crimes both military and civilian. I read that one soldier lost his VC for stealing a cow. A Gunner James Collis had to forfeit his VC and pension in 1895 after being convicted of bigamy!! But he did have it re-instated by King George V posthumously.

There is a clause in all VC warrants that the medal and pension can be forfeited if the winner should be 'discredited' and King George attempted to have this clause removed. He believed that no matter how great a mans crimes they could never be so great as to 'cancel out' whatever he did to recieve the medal. But tje clause still remains today. The last VC to be forfeited was in 1908.

I know you are looking for info on awards revoked after re-examination of the action but i hope you find this helpful. Seems very harsh to me that they would give a guy one of these medals and they turn around and take it back off him.

'Hmmm dont really know how to say this Pte X, but you know that VC and handsome pension we gave you last week? Well we kinda need it back. Sorry for the confusion old boy'

Comment

Originally posted by Tango_Charlie View Post
        I know you are looking for info on awards revoked after re-examination of the action but i hope you find this helpful....

This is highly unlikely to happen. A soldier may be recommended for a VC but receive a lesser award if it is judged that his actions did not merit the highest award. If the soldier has actually been awarded the VC then the examination process is over.
        sigpic
        Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
        My favourite moment was when the
        Originally posted by hedgehog
        red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

And when were US M.o.H. ever awarded en masse?

Comment

A large number of MOH were awarded by the Union side during the American civil war in order to encourage their soldiers to extend their service. Many of these extended by a week and then left. These medals were subsequently revoked. I recently purchased an excellent and detailed book entitled 'Valour Reconsidered - Inquiries into the VC and other awards for extreme bravery' by Hugh A Halliday (ISBN-13: 978-1-896941-47-9) which goes into some detail on the politics and internal military subjectiveness of the awarding of medals. While I always knew that the awarding of the highest awards is incredibly subjective, this book really opens it up to examination and should be a must read for anyone involved in the awarding of medals for valour in combat.

Comment

Originally posted by Scorpy View Post
              A large number of MOH were awarded by the Union side during the American civil war in order to encourage their soldiers to extend their service. Many of these extended by a week and then left. These medals were subsequently revoked. I recently purchased an excellent and detailed book entitled 'Valour Reconsidered - Inquiries into the VC and other awards for extreme bravery' by Hugh A Halliday (ISBN-13: 978-1-896941-47-9) which goes into some detail on the politics and internal military subjectiveness of the awarding of medals. While I always knew that the awarding of the highest awards is incredibly subjective, this book really opens it up to examination and should be a must read for anyone involved in the awarding of medals for valour in combat.
              Is the source of the U.S. M.o.H revoking claims in this book?

Connaught Stranger.

Comment

In regards to the U.S. M.o.H. mentioned:-

During the American Civil War of 1861–1865, the men of the 27th Maine Infantry were promised Medals of Honor if they extended their enlistments in the defenses of Washington, DC.

The Government maintained its part of the bargain and issued the medals. Many of the 27th Maine troops left anyway and still got the medals.

A review board in 1908* rescinded those awards and many others (e.g., Buffalo Bill Cody, Dr, Mary Walker). A book titled "A Shower of Stars" was published in the 1960s covering the whole story of the 27th Maine.

During the Civil War, the Medal of Honor was the only decoration available and the Army had not really sorted out what the award criteria should be, so the early awards included some rather light-weight citations.

If one takes the average age of say 18+ when the awards were made, then the men awarded them were in their mid 60's+ when the order rescinding the medals was issued, 45 years after their awarding, I don't think it would have been of too much concern to the men who received them originally.

Connaught Stranger

Comment

In addition the M.O.H. awarded to President Lincoln's burial Honor Guard in 1865 were later rescinded.

Connaught Stranger.

Comment

Working...
                  X