Fort Berehaven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fort Berehaven

On the information pannel at Battery Lonehort: "The shore battery at Ardra was equipped with at least two 45lb guns and four torpedo launchers".
    Does anyone know something about these "torpedo launchers"?. There are some "lights" shooting in one direction over the chanel, and one searchlight that look a lot like the one build in Fort Shannon (1940-1945) and Fort Duncannon also modernised at the same time.

Could be more like the original Torpedo launchers as found at other Palmerstown forts, such as Fort Camden.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Perhaps they were Brennan torpedos such as those in Fort Camden.
      An interesting design that powered the propeller by pulling two cables out the back.
      The two cables were connected to winding engines on the shore.
      It was steered by pulling on one wire more than the other to activate a rudder.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brennan_torpedo
      Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Comment

Brennan torpedos ? Unlikely, I didn't see the railwaysystem you need to bring the torpedo's in the water.

Comment

Where is the Ardra Battery? I know that the brennan torpedo system in Fort Camden was quite close to the waterline, however I don't recall any of the Batteries in Bere Island being close to the shoreline.

Comment

It is Battery Ardaragh (Ardra) north of Lonehort battery at the east side of the island.
            On Gogle Earth (and -Maps) you can see the trench on the left side of the battery going to the 3 "shooting" lights and the searchlight-buildings.

Comment

I know it. Down the laneway just before Lonehort.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugo M View Post
                It is Battery Ardaragh (Ardra) north of Lonehort battery at the east side of the island.
                On Gogle Earth (and -Maps) you can see the trench on the left side of the battery going to the 3 "shooting" lights and the searchlight-buildings.
                Hugo another useful resource for aerial footage for you would be www.osi.ie it is ordanance survey ireland's website, one of the guys on the bard found it. If you click on the interactive map viewer you can zoo right in(include aerial photographs) on the whole or the Republic might be useful for getting views of your interests.
                Lifes a bitch, so be her pimp!

Comment

Originally posted by Bosco View Post
                  Hugo another useful resource for aerial footage for you would be www.osi.ie it is ordanance survey ireland's website, one of the guys on the bard found it. If you click on the interactive map viewer you can zoo right in(include aerial photographs) on the whole or the Republic might be useful for getting views of your interests.
                  Bosco, you are correct - a great site for aerial pics. Took a bit of looking around to find it.

Thanks for that!

Comment

Indeed a good tool. But what about the "torpedo launchers"? On the western site of the island, there are searchlights too and there was a electric mine barrage, commanded from the shore. I can't find anything about the eastern site.

Comment

Have you noticed that there are now historical maps available. Two versions of the 19th century (colored and B/W) and one of the early 20th century (1925 ?). Because I usualy usse the map at 1/50.000 to find my way, I mis that one now. Road view only available at 1/200.000 and then satelite view doesn(t make it easy to find something. But the historical maps with the old batteries and fortifications compensate a lot.

Comment

The ordanance maps are back

Comment

Working...
                        X