UNPROFOR in Srebrenica

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UNPROFOR in Srebrenica

This is an offshoot of the "If Lynch had invaded" discussion.
    Originally posted by ZULU
    400 dutch without air support, low on all supplies and without vehicles against 1500-2000 heavily armed and well trained troops with heavy armour and support weapons in a setting where the larger side had already fired upon the dutch troops.

You seem to suggest that they even had the decision to "do nothing". Or should they have added their names to the massacare?

You also suggest that the British had a mass execution plan to kill over 8000 catholics to be conducted in under a month.
    There was a Coy of Canadians in location in Srebrenica, from 1st Battalion, Royal 22e RĂ©giment. Some good friends of mine were there as section commanders or platoon 2ic.
    UNPROFOR was not an "observer" mission; the name of the mission was "UN PROtection FORce", yet they were unable to protect anything. The Canadians were willing to stay in location and carry out their mission, but they were ordered to leave.
    Srebrenica was a disaster that demonstrated the incompetence of the UN, it's complete lack of situational awareness and ineffeciency at making the most basic of estimates, and it's lack of guts in carrying out it's own missions. The opposing forces knew this, and exploited these weaknesses. A year later, Rwanda was the nail in the UN coffin as far as the opinion of Canadian Soldiers goes...
    "On the plains of hesitation, bleach the bones of countless millions, who on the very dawn of victory, laid down to rest, and in resting died.

Never give up!!"

The Dutch troops were housed in an old factory and by all accounts didn't really want to be there..A dirty detail if you will.

When the shit hit the fan, the Dutch commander had requested CAS a number of times but hadn't used the correct documentation!!!

The serbs had a number of Dutch Troops "As Guests" and were being used as bargaining chips! and the serbs knew this when they went into srebrenica.. A total cluster fcuk!

Comment

There are a number of other threads on this topic

Comment

Hi there
        Someone made the point about the Dutch at Srebrenica not having air support.They had.All of NATO.The Serbs made the point of sticking close to the Dutch at all times and the civvvies were milling about.No hope of an accurate air strike, as well as complete political fudge and buck-passing.The Dutch hadn't a hope.
        regards
        GttC

Comment

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
          Hi there
          Someone made the point about the Dutch at Srebrenica not having air support.They had.All of NATO.The Serbs made the point of sticking close to the Dutch at all times and the civvvies were milling about.No hope of an accurate air strike, as well as complete political fudge and buck-passing.The Dutch hadn't a hope.
          regards
          GttC

Also when the move was made against the Dutch was the weather conditions not reason why no air support was provided?

With regards the Canadians I believe they did engage in combat at various periods, what seems to be a common theme in U.N. Missions is actually getting permission to engage, no civvie in New York wants to put his name on the order for fear of his neck being on the line and a the resulting vacancy on the U.N. gravy train.

Comment

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
            Hi there
            regards
            GttC
            General Sir Michael Rose in his book " Fighting for Peace" gives A version of this-

but if you want to find out the real skinny I suggest you read "Trusted Mole" by Milos Stankvich

Milos was a Briths Army Officer who had Serbian Parantage and became Roses Translator- he went everywhere with Rose- Milos was subsequently arrested charged and cleared of treasona dn espionage charges-

I drove into Sebrinicia once- I never felt such hatred from the locals before and this was way after teh massacre-

Its like going into Auschiwitz- that same type of a feeling.
            Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
            Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
            The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
            The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
            The best lack all conviction, while the worst
            Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

My post was NOT a slam on the Dutch; they were on the ground under UN orders.
              I am slamming the UN, though... :wink:
              "On the plains of hesitation, bleach the bones of countless millions, who on the very dawn of victory, laid down to rest, and in resting died.

Never give up!!"

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                General Sir Michael Rose in his book " Fighting for Peace" gives A version of this-

but if you want to find out the real skinny I suggest you read "Trusted Mole" by Milos Stankvich

Milos was a Briths Army Officer who had Serbian Parantage and became Roses Translator- he went everywhere with Rose- Milos was subsequently arrested charged and cleared of treasona dn espionage charges-

I drove into Sebrinicia once- I never felt such hatred from the locals before and this was way after teh massacre-

Its like going into Auschiwitz- that same type of a feeling.
                Who were the "locals" at that stage hedgehog?

Don't they have to bus in the Muslim families now for the memorial days?

Comment

As far as I recall its a predominanlty Serbian Area now or rather Bosnian Serb-

there was repatriation of local Bosniaks who wanted and there was evictions of Serbian settlers.

It and Mullingar are the 2 places that I was ever in that I pray I never go back to.

Comment

Originally posted by Jungle View Post
                    My post was NOT a slam on the Dutch; they were on the ground under UN orders.
                    I am slamming the UN, though... :wink:
                    The problem was the mandate and the real lack of units not really the orders.

Comment

I agree with Jungle the UN is a shite organisation

anyone who has ever done a UN mission can give you glaring examples of their shiteness.

I worked with Dutch Troops overseas and they were to the bone good blokes- very very like us-

I never knew that their was Canadians there-

I often wonder if it had been an Irish COmpany would we have done the same thing as well.

Comment

As far as I recall its a predominanlty Serbian Area now or rather Bosnian Serb-

there was repatriation of local Bosniaks who wanted and there was evictions of Serbian settlers.

It and Mullingar are the 2 places that I was ever in that I pray I never go back to.

Yes, mainly Bosnian Serb., But I saw loads of Muslims, (also doing the tour thing.) ..I was there too, did the tour thing..I'll post up some photos later.

Comment

The term "Bosnian Serb" or "Serbo Croat" would be considered quite offensive. Its the same as saying "British Irish", "German-french" or worse "Dublin-Hurler".
                          They are Serbs, end of story. Where they happen to live is an accident of communism.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                            The term "Bosnian Serb" or "Serbo Croat" would be considered quite offensive. Its the same as saying "British Irish", "German-french" or worse "Dublin-Hurler".
                            They are Serbs, end of story. Where they happen to live is an accident of communism.
                            Actually its not

its how they would describe themselves

they would also describe the area they live in as a Serbska etc etc-

I did 2 years there in total and I worked with the locals on a day to day basis for 6 months

I have been to family parties/christenings/ Christmasess/ St Patrick's Days IN Sarajevo

and in Pristina- both in restaurants and family homes.

The peoples of the former Yougslavia are very very down to earth people who dont

really get offended by stuff like that.

Comment

Actually its not

its how they would describe themselves

they would also describe the area they live in as a Serbska etc etc-

I did 2 years there in total and I worked with the locals on a day to day basis for 6 months

I have been to family parties/christenings/ Christmasess/ St Patrick's Days IN Sarajevo

and in Pristina- both in restaurants and family homes.

The peoples of the former Yougslavia are very very down to earth people who dont

really get offended by stuff like that.

Yup..No hassle there! RS or Republic Serbska which is Bosian Serb and the Federation which is Bosian Muslim. You also have Serbo Croat which are staunch Catholics and they're near the coast and the boarder of Croatia. I blame the Turks!! :wink:

Comment

Working...
                              X