Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fermoy Airfield

Evening all,
    I wonder could any of you gentlemen from the colonies say Cork or Tipp tell me what is the status of the old Air Corps airfield at Fermoy
    The last time I visited was in the eighties and the original hangars were still there. Is it still possible to recognise the landing ground on Google or has it all been built on ?
    Any help appreciated
    Tony K

Try the osi.ie interactive map and serial photos.

They're dated 2005/06
    "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

Thanks ZULU, that was quick.
      Tony K

Comment

The Landing strip has been built on, Now home to Blackwater Motors(VW) as well as a small industrial estate.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Was down that way last week. Its all gone, even the long avenue enterance into the camp gone.
          Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

"colonies"? Whaddafuk..........ye bleedin Northsider, yah! Did they steal the wheels of 231 yet?
            regards
            GttC

Comment

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
              "colonies"? Whaddafuk..........ye bleedin Northsider, yah! Did they steal the wheels of 231 yet?
              regards
              GttC
              I happen to live on the Northside but I am originally from Dublin 4
              Posh or not? Now try and beat that. By the way if your are anywhere around the Slaney DROP IN

Thanks Goldie fish and HTPM
              Tony K

Comment

Note to Gardai: check visa of one Kearns, A.P., wanted for impersonating a Southsider
                regards
                GttC

Comment

Note to Gardai: check visa of one Kearns, A.P., wanted for impersonating a Southsider
                  regards
                  GttC
                  What about the landing strip at Mogeeley, East Cork. Was this used by the Air Corp at one stage?

Comment

regards
                    GttC
                    You have some neck you West Wickla RUNNERIN Keep a civil tongue in your head or my West Wickla relations will be calling on you. Just back from Tallaght and yes the wheels are still on 231. Oh and I believe Mick hates you too.
                    Have a nice day ,whats left of it
                    Tony K

Comment

Originally posted by Test Pilot View Post
                      What about the landing strip at Mogeeley, East Cork. Was this used by the Air Corp at one stage?
                      TP,
                      The only airfields /Landing grounds used by the Air Corps to my knowledge were Fermoy and Glenville
                      Tony K

Comment

Glenville??
                        Got anymore information on this please especially since it only a few minutes from me.
                        Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

"Where there is no guidance the people fall, but in abundance of counselors there is victory" Proverbs 11-14
                        http://munsterfireandrescue.com

Comment

Sorry - ignorant question, but where precisely was the airfield in Fermoy? Also, how long was the runway?

Comment

It was the long field to the south of the old 1 Cav Hq on the old dublin road out of fermoy.

Unfortunately the Lectrickle people decided to run wires right accross it, which put an end to its use. During the filming of "Blue Max" Air Corps Pilots instead used an exceptionally long field off the Fermoy-Tallow road to operate the taildraggers.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Am I right in saying that an Aer Corps pilot lost his life during filming the ' Blue Max '? Was that in this area ?
                              'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Comment

Working...
                              X