Colour Photographs of WWI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colour Photographs of WWI

This is an interesting site I came across, not sure if it was posted before.
    The pics are of French origin, but they give an interesting insight into the "look" of things at the time.When you're accustomed to seeing this war in B&W(with the exception of WW1 in colour with Kenneth Brannagh), these pics make it seem more real and recent.

15 September, 2023 World War I Photography Conference The Impact of Photojournalism during World War I: Shaping Perception, Propaganda, and the Evolution of a Profession Join Us Impact of photojournalism during World War I The photojournalism of World War I, with its candid portrayal of the realities of war, its strategic utilization as a propaganda […]

I'm surprised to actually see greenery.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead

Comment

Originally posted by Herald View Post
      This is an interesting site I came across, not sure if it was posted before.
      The pics are of French origin, but they give an interesting insight into the "look" of things at the time.When you're accustomed to seeing this war in B&W(with the exception of WW1 in colour with Kenneth Brannagh), these pics make it seem more real and recent.

http://www.worldwaronecolorphotos.com/index.html
      Certainly an interesting collection of photos.

In 1909 the French banker and philanthropist Albert Kahn (Mar. 1860-Nov. 1940) launched an ambitious project: to produce a color photographic record of human life on Earth. His photographers also captured many moments of WW1 in colour and monochrome. He amassed a total of approximately 72,000 images. His history and his photos are featured in a DVD titled 'The Wonderful World of Albert Khan.

I have a book in my library titled 'The First World War' by Hew Strachan, published 2003. ISBN 0-7432-3959-8. There are numerous WW1 photos in colour featured in this book and they are from numerous sources. This book is a great reference for researching WW1.

Corkman

Comment

Working...
      X