Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cork Harbour and Coastal Fortifications - Google Earth 3D Buildings Project

Hey Folks.

Just wanted to try and get the ball rolling on a possible project that all interested parties can get in on.

Having spent some time recently around some of the old fortifications in Cork Harbour, all I can say is I feel gutted for the future generations that will never see this hertiage given the rapid decomposition of the defences.

What I'd like to do is start a concentrated effort to collect and pool images of the Coastal and Harbour fortifications of Cork.

Following on from this, I'd like to get a "SketchUp" project going to build the forts and coastal defences in 3D and then Upload them to Google Earth for inclusion.

There have been a number of buildings modelled in Cobh town, and some well known buildings in the City (Glucksman, Shandon Church, School of Music). With a little bit more exposure maybe the effort will spark some more interset in tourism. But the main reason I want to start it is to preserve the heritage of the Harbour before its too late.

The first part of the plan if your interested is to create an account in Google "Panaramio" photo storage site, and locate them using Google maps.

The more images, the more detailed the models can be textured.

You can find the associated links below. There are plenty of SketchUp tutorials on Youtube also if interested.

Thanking you in advance for your time, effort and photos.

Regards,

Zulu.

Google Earth

SketchUp

Panaramio

Note to Mods: Would it be possible to get this placed as a sitcky if there is enough interest please?
    Last edited by ZULU; 24 November 2009, 00:30.
    "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Originally posted by ZULU View Post
    Having spent some time recently around some of the old fortifications in Cork Harbour, all I can say is I feel gutted for the future generations that will never see this hertiage given the rapid decomposition of the defences.
    what's all this about???
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
    Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
    Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
    Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

Comment

Fort Camden is in a very sorry state of affairs. There's undercutting at the base of the walls near the main gate along with vegetation creeping into the walls and starting to damage the structure in a big way.

Not to mention most of the floors and roofs have all but gone now internally.
      "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

Fort Camden is in a very sorry state of affairs. There's undercutting at the base of the walls near the main gate along with vegetation creeping into the walls and starting to damage the structure in a big way.

Not to mention most of the floors and roofs have all but gone now internally.
        Im very supprised such establishments are not given listed status and not up kept by the State.

Comment

Camden is in Council ownership along with Spike Island. All the council did with Camden in 1987 when they got it was put up new bigger gates and hideous security railings on the pier to try and stop people fishing off them.

The gates are useless as they have been cicumvented, the railings torn down by the sea and left dangling in the water and no management of the overgrowth on the site.

Comment

Camden is in Council ownership along with Spike Island. All the council did with Camden in 1987 when they got it was put up new bigger gates and hideous security railings on the pier to try and stop people fishing off them.

The gates are useless as they have been cicumvented, the railings torn down by the sea and left dangling in the water and no management of the overgrowth on the site.
            Sadly that's typical of Council control anywhere!

I think it's terrible that Cork County Council are just leaving the Fort to rot. I take it the idea of establishing a military museum there was a non event?

Comment

Cork Military Heritage

Was on spike last year and yes, the fort is starting to deteriorate but its the guns, emplacements and the old spares and workshops, complete with Gunnery Maintanance & Training Logs I am very worried about. Would be a great loss.
              As always, too many christians and never enough lions.

Comment

Hey folks,

Just wanted to post a quick test run of sketchup. This took me about 5 min max, mainly spent matching the photo and vanishing points.

The model itself took about all of 30 seconds.

Attached Files
                Last edited by ZULU; 25 November 2009, 17:47.

Comment

I think it would be far better in Second Life, then virtual tours could be organised.

Comment

Working...
                  X