U-boats being refuelled in WW2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U-boats being refuelled in WW2

Just wondering, where did all this crap about U-boats being refuelled in WW2 start?
    It's literally wrecking my head having to convince a few English buddies that this never occured.... or did it?

Just one question, where did we get all the fuel?
    You will never have a quiet world until you knock the patriotism out of the human race

Comment

Originally posted by Fireplace View Post
      Just one question, where did we get all the fuel?
      Damn right.

Comment

Apart from the very valid point of where the fuel was meant to come from, after all these years a crew member or local would definitely have spoken up. It's usually the best arguement against these myths and conspiracies (fake moon landing etc), the fact that no one out the thousands that would have been involved ever said anything.

Incidentally, U Boats were allowed refuel in a port of another 'neutral' nation, namely in Vigo port, Spain. Interned German merchant vessels there were allowed clandestinly refuel the U boats at night.
        "Never believe anything in politics until it has been officially denied."

Otto Von Bismark

Comment

Originally posted by dingo42 View Post
          Just wondering, where did all this crap about U-boats being refuelled in WW2 start?
          It's literally wrecking my head having to convince a few English buddies that this never occured.... or did it?
          There were a few U-boats who were fitted out as 'tankers'. They were known as sea cows, and were used for the earlier U VII types I think, as they didn't have the range to reach the american coast without them. However, the allies ended up getting data on their operational patterns, and started intercepting them whilst they were refueling on the surface.

I have a few pics in a book here, I'll scan soon.

edit: wait, you guys talking about refueling in ireland?

Comment

The rumours most probably were spread in the early war years when the U-Boats were at their most deadly. The milk cows didn't enter service until 1942 when the fear of the wolf packs was beginning to ease. Anyway, they were intended for operations to the Americas. It wouldn't make any sense to risk them around the Irish coast.
            You will never have a quiet world until you knock the patriotism out of the human race

Comment

I think there may be some confusion with reports that u-boat crews bought fresh food etc from Irish fishing villages. These claims have some degree of plausibility to them. Particularly in the early part of the war. Talk of re-fueling is implausable.

Comment

Some fella from the UK newspaper The Daily Mail claimed he saw U-Boat crews in a County Kerry Pub in 1939 or 1940. It made big news at the time in the Uk.

Comment

Originally posted by Border Bunny View Post
                  Some fella from the UK newspaper The Daily Hate claimed.....
                  Well then it must be true!

Comment

Dingo

Robert Fisk's, "in Time of War" deals with this question in some detail, and is well worth a read, most libraries should have a copy. .

Comment

Some fella from the UK newspaper The Daily Mail claimed he saw U-Boat crews in a County Kerry Pub in 1939 or 1940. It made big news at the time in the Uk.
                      The journalist was probably paying for the drink, and the more he bought, the more exotic the stories became. After this story was reported, later suggestions were that most of the German subs were actually seen in the pubs!
                      "Never believe anything in politics until it has been officially denied."

Otto Von Bismark

Comment

I recall a story of a (I think) a merchant vessel being sunk off the Kerry
                        coast during WWII

The U Boat crew put the survivors safely ashore

Maybe this story grew legs into the one you refer to ?
                        "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
                          I recall a story of a (I think) a merchant vessel being sunk off the Kerry
                          coast during WWII

The U Boat crew put the survivors safely ashore

Maybe this story grew legs into the one you refer to ?
                          I think it was U35 that rescued the crew of a sinking Greek ship.

If anyone read todays The Irish News in the 'On This Day' section (14/12/1940) it was about the strong anti-Irish feeling in the UK at the time.
                          De Valera give a interview to US press about the british press saying Ireland was using lights to guide German aircraft and refueling German U-boats.
                          There was also something about George Bernard Shaw atacking Irish Neutrality.

Comment

The Irish News badmouthing the Brits? Shocking stuff there alright.

Comment

The thing about the using of lights was explained by one shot-down German airman as simple enough. They flew up the Irish Sea (at a time when the British night-fighter defence was weak and radar coverage of the West coast of the UK was patchy)) until they were abeam Dublin and then turned East, which took them directly to the mass of the industrial heartlands of Liverpool and Manchester. Also, whilst blackout regulations were strict and were well observed in the UK, there were occasions when lights were inadvertantly exposed and the luckless punters recieved bombs for their pains. Apart from that, Doenitz ordered his U-Boats to stay out of the Irish Sea, early on, quite simply because it was comparatively narrow and heavily patrolled.Any U-Boat that chanced a daylight transit near the Irish West coast was likely to be spotted and attacked by Coastal Command, especially after the Donegal Corridor came into operation.
                              regards
                              GttC

Comment

Working...
                              X