Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ludden Camp, Buncrana 1915

Hi,
    I don’t know if this is the right place to post this thread but here goes.
    I am researching my family genealogy and have a question regarding my uncle Albert Condon. He served in the Royal Irish Fusiliers and was married in Dublin 26th November 1915. His address was given at the time as Ludden Camp, Buncrana, Co. Donegal.
    My problem is that the only reference I can find to this camp is of a Major Henry Ball Holmes who died Nov. 27, 1915 at Ludden Camp, Buncrana, County Donegal of wounds received during the Battle of Arras in France whilst serving with the 2nd Battalion of the Royal Irish Fusiliers. He is buried at Christ Church, Fahan Lower, Buncrana, Donegal, Ireland.
    Can anyone out there throw some light on this camp? I would be grateful if someone can help or point me in the right direction to find out more.
    Thank you in advance.
    Dalcassian.

Hi Dalcassian,

Welcome to IMO.

You may be aware of this, there is a Royal Irish Fusiliers museum in Armagh.

The link below provides contact details. They should be able to help.

Let us know how you get on please.

'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Comment

Originally posted by spider View Post
      You may be aware of this, there is a Royal Irish Fusiliers museum in Armagh.

http://www.armymuseums.org.uk/museum...tal-Museum.htm

Yeah mate its next to the war memorial (opposite the court house) on the Mall in Armagh

Comment

There was a treaty port returned in 1930's in Buncrana. We in DF knew it as Fort Dunree. It was the opposite side of Buncrana to Fahan but maybe the relevant church was there.

There is a museum in Dunree now. You could ring them on 00 353 74 9361817 and they may be able to help you.

There were a number of forts around there as it was a very important naval base during WW1.

There is it appears a town land near Buncrana called Ludden, this town land is quite possibly the one the Fort was located in. It is between Fahan and Buncranna on the R238 (road) . Still think you should ring Dunree.
        Last edited by In my opinion; 19 January 2010, 00:06. Reason: Additional information

Comment

Thanks Guys. Will get in touch with sources suggested.
          Dalcassian

Comment

Working...
          X