Fort Dunree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fort Dunree

Can anybody help with a listing of the guns currently on display in Dunree?

And were all of these 'native' to the Fort or which were brought in during the Museum development?

Thank you

CP

theres the official site, you could give them a buzz if you like. its a great place to visit.
    I knew a simple soldier boy.....
    Who grinned at life in empty joy,
    Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
    And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
    With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
    He put a bullet through his brain.
    And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
    Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
    Sneak home and pray you'll never know
    The hell where youth and laughter go.

Comment

Can't help with the guns, but I've been to the Fort, its very interesting, and the scenery is breath taking.

Highly recommended.
      'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Comment

completed a few fca camps there in the 70s and on return a few years ago found that a lot of areas were overgrown and fenced off..all the nissen type billets were gone and only stone structures were there ..it is a beautiful area in good weather but try it in november...buncrana was the watering hole for us and at the time the welcome was not cheerful...a lot of the guns are not originals .but it is an interesting place

Comment

Originally posted by golden rivet View Post
          completed a few fca camps there in the 70s and on return a few years ago found that a lot of areas were overgrown and fenced off..all the nissen type billets were gone and only stone structures were there ..it is a beautiful area in good weather but try it in november...buncrana was the watering hole for us and at the time the welcome was not cheerful...a lot of the guns are not originals .but it is an interesting place
          Buncrana? Jesus, surprised you got outta that one alive!! Braver men have come back broken fellas

Comment

Originally posted by golden rivet View Post
            Locals are suspicious of strangers with only five fingers per hand. and a mouth

with more then five teeth.

Was in the fort this time last year, well worth a look. found very interesting

a display of the tools and equipment to maintain the weapons

Comment

Originally posted by sofa View Post
              Locals are suspicious of strangers with only five fingers per hand. and a mouth

with more then five teeth.

Was in the fort this time last year, well worth a look. found very interesting

a display of the tools and equipment to maintain the weapons

id love if he was making that up....

but yeah, its a class place to go on a nice day. well worth a few bob

Comment

Yes, indeed, I did visit within the past fortnight. An evocative site amid great natural beauty. Good exhibition too especially for artillery heads. The guide booklet is fairly general and does not itemise the guns on display. I know that some of the 4.7" and 6" on display are 'native' to Dunree but I thought I saw somewhere that a number of the barrells on display had come from other installations on the opening of the museum. Any clarification would be a help and in the meantime I endorse the recommendation to visit -- six miles north of Buncrana, admission €6 per adult.

Comment

Originally posted by Curragh Plains View Post
                  Yes, indeed, I did visit within the past fortnight. An evocative site amid great natural beauty. Good exhibition too especially for artillery heads. The guide booklet is fairly general and does not itemise the guns on display. I know that some of the 4.7" and 6" on display are 'native' to Dunree but I thought I saw somewhere that a number of the barrells on display had come from other installations on the opening of the museum. Any clarification would be a help and in the meantime I endorse the recommendation to visit -- six miles north of Buncrana, admission €6 per adult.
                  we had a naval officer involved getting some barrels out of the old forts in the harbour to help get it started....these were spare ones that were not mounted anywhere

Comment

The Saluting battery at Fort Davis(used about twice) came from Fort Westmorland(spike).

One of the Big guns beyond the square was sent to a similar fort in Northern Ireland. I believe the Irish Govt got a flintlock used at the battle of the boyne in return..
                    Last edited by Goldie fish; 10 June 2010, 19:28.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

...which they gave to Ian Paisley.
                      regards
                      GttC

Comment

I dont think so.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Flintlock presented by the good Dr to Bertie forest gump Ahern. Now on display in Collins Barracks

Comment

If I recall correctly the then Taoiseach gave him some sort of bowl made from a tree that has some historical significance to the battle? Or maybe it's just from the locale...
                            Meh.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                              The Saluting battery at Fort Davis(used about twice) came from Fort Westmorland(spike).

One of the Big guns beyond the square was sent to a similar fort in Northern Ireland. I believe the Irish Govt got a flintlock used at the battle of the boyne in return..
                              Greys Point Fort between Belfast and Bangor.

Admission free, about an hour to go around it.
                              'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Comment

Working...
                              X