Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buck
    replied
    The other is at Ottway I think. Used Google maps!

Leave a comment:

• Buck
    replied
    Yeah there are three I think. One in rathmullan, one at Knockalla, and another, I forget the exact location. I think four on the Malin side - Lenan, Dunree, Buncrana, and Inch.

Leave a comment:

• spider
    replied
    Originally posted by Buck View Post
    First set of photos work fine but the other set don't for some reason!

Thanks for posting anyway!
    Feck...sorry...will try to fix that!

Lenan...thanks will look for that.

And is there a fort on the other side of the lough?

Didn't have my binos!

Leave a comment:

• Buck
    replied
    Next time you should give Lenan Fort a look btw, just up the road through the gap. It's totally abandoned but worth a look

Leave a comment:

• Buck
    replied
    First set of photos work fine but the other set don't for some reason!

Thanks for posting anyway!

Leave a comment:

• spider
    replied
    Last few...

Leave a comment:

• spider
    replied
    Some more...

Leave a comment:

• spider
    replied
    Went on an impromptu Donegal Road trip this afternoon...and ended up at Fort Dunree...been about nine years since my last visit.

It was past closing time but you could still walk around the grounds.

Some new stuff there; a Panhard M3 APC, couple of WW2 era artillery pieces, new coffee shops and a marine wildlife exhibition.

Sadly, the older temporary buildings at the top end are getting into really bad shape.

One, which may have been an Officers or Sgt's mess, has been recently burned down, there was still a strong smell.

Took some photos, please see below...

IMG_2814.jpg

IMG_2815.jpg

IMG_2816.jpg

IMG_2817.jpg

IMG_2819.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Buck
    replied
    Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
    Did any of the Treaty Ports ever fire in anger, under either jurisdiction?
    The Swilly ports did not under the Irish jurisdiction anyway. I'm not sure about under the UK but I don't think so.

Leave a comment:

• Flamingo
    replied
    Did any of the Treaty Ports ever fire in anger, under either jurisdiction?

Leave a comment:

• spider
    replied
    Originally posted by Buck View Post
    Next time you go up, shoot me a pm and i'll point you towards the other forts in the area too.
    I'll do that...Thank You.

Leave a comment:

• Buck
    replied
    Originally posted by spider View Post
    Thanks for bumping that Buck...I must do Dunree again soon. Fascinating place.
    Next time you go up, shoot me a pm and i'll point you towards the other forts in the area too.

Leave a comment:

• spider
    replied
    Thanks for bumping that Buck...I must do Dunree again soon. Fascinating place.

Leave a comment:

• Buck
    replied
    Just a bump on this thread as I was up at Lenan Head both this and last weekend. Lenan head is a lot more run down than Dunree - the access road is badly potholed and many of the buildings have been taken apart for their stone. A good few buildings still stand, including the concrete gun emplacements and the underground storage rooms/bunkers. They're in really good nick for their age (the fort was closed in '46) but there is some graffiti and rubbish lying around. I found an old boot there when I was up and it's one of the old military style ones - it's obviously in bad nick but there are two in perfect condition in Dunree (I didn't take it with me!!). I don't have photos but there is a flickr set from a visitor a while ago, this gives you a good idea: http://www.flickr.com/photos/4060255...4616/comments/

If I'm up again in the near future, I'll have the camera with me and I'll get some shots. It's a nice place to visit. Also, FWIW, in Dunree, the underground magazines have hand cranked lifts to send the shells up to the gun emplacements above and the machinery is all still there, one even works without even a hint of wear. The hole in the ground (12th photo down, previous page) is where they would have come up.

Leave a comment:

• Curragh Plains
    replied
    Buck those are fantastic pictures, give a great perspective of Dunree. The fort has two facets. The modern museum which has a great collection of artillery equipment and good illustrations of the life and times of the fort. Then there is the extensive legacy of the old fort. Looks run down but in practice this only adds to its authenticity. And there is no problem wandering all over the site: lots of stuff -- redoubts, casemates, observation huts, all very authentic. Dunree was the last of the Forts to be handed over in October 1938. Definitely worth the long journey for a visit over the summer period.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X