Armed Forces at Wimbledon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Armed Forces at Wimbledon

Continuing a tradition that stretches back to the Second World War, members of the UK's Armed Forces have again been in attendance at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships this year where the general public have been expressing their pride in them.

Over 300 personnel from all three Services are recruited to be stewards at the two-week tennis championships every year.

Their responsibilities include helping the public get from their queue positions outside the courts to their seats, ensuring that members of the public abide by Wimbledon rules such as turning off mobile phones during play, and making sure that members of the audience are comfortable and well-hydrated.

Read more here: www - Armed Forces at Wimbledon

good work - if you can get it.

i applied twice in the 90's, but never did.
    RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

What is sigificant about the press release is the fact that the "tradition" goes back only to the second world war even though the first game was in 1877.

Before the war the Wimbledon "establishment" had rather different loyalties.

When the great Fred Perry beat the German Von Cramm the powers that be at Wimbledon could not bring themselves to present him with the winner's blazer and just left it in the locker-room for him. Their sympathy in 1936 was with the "aristocratic" German rather than the working-class northerner Perry. Tennis then was supposed to be the game of the ruling classes and Perry was very much resented. Some of the Wimbledon Board actually apologised to the German.

Sympathy for Fascism went all the way to the very top -even to Buckingham Palace in the 1930's.

A big part of the reason Service personnel are repeatedly asked to steward at Wimbledon is their ability to converse with the public.
    You don't say!
    Last edited by timhorgan; 3 July 2010, 10:31.

Comment

RGJ

Thanks mate I always wondered what the troops were doing there-

I dread tennis or any other sport where is no contact (apart from squash- where I play like the Wicklow hurling team)

do the troops get paid for the days work.

I really like that Armed Forces day- such a very easy thing to implement (here) and so popular
      Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
      Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
      The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
      The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
      The best lack all conviction, while the worst
      Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
        RGJ

Thanks mate I always wondered what the troops were doing there-

I dread tennis or any other sport where is no contact (apart from squash- where I play like the Wicklow hurling team)

do the troops get paid for the days work.

I really like that Armed Forces day- such a very easy thing to implement (here) and so popular
        no mate, they don't get paid any extra for it but i think they do get the daily subsistence allowances etc. i think in days gone by you had to put in leave for it but i don't think that's the case any more.

there was one occasion back in the 90's when rain stopped play and a Green Jacket Colour Serjeant entertained the audience by singing some regimental songs.

it's a good thing to be involved in and keeps us in the public eye.
        RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
          no mate, they don't get paid any extra for it but i think they do get the daily subsistence allowances etc.
          Duty rumour at the time I was in was that you got paid, but had to take leave for it. Maybe the pay was in fact a hefty subsistence, but I wouldn't know for sure. Never did it myself.

Comment

Since a kid I always looked on trying to spot the different uniforms, corps and units at wimbledon and admired their poise and presentation and never once questioned why they were there. They to me were always part of the vent and it would take from it if if changed.

I have no interest in the vent but if someone else in the household happened to be watching it was always the uniforms that caught my eye.

Often wondered were they TA or full timers, not that the difference was ever obvious.I never really knew why they were there but what ever the reason ... they look good.
            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

lol well now you know HPT!

i hope it hasn't spoiled your childhood illusions pal.

i might have another crack of the whip before i leave the Army, but wifey isn't too keen on the idea.
              RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Quite why the State feels the need to promote it's already well-publicised Army by having them attend a tennis tournament is beyond me. If they have that many spare bods lying around, send them to Selly Oak.
                regards
                GttC

Comment

GoneToTheCanner;Quite why the State feels the need to promote it's already well-publicised Army by having them attend a tennis tournament is beyond me. If they have that many spare bods lying around, send them to Selly Oak.
                  regards
                  Gttc
                  I agree,

It has always seemed a little bit Red-Squarish to me.

Comment

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
                    Quite why the State feels the need to promote it's already well-publicised Army by having them attend a tennis tournament is beyond me. If they have that many spare bods lying around, send them to Selly Oak.
                    regards
                    GttC
                    we don't need this to promote our soldiers at Wimbeldon - it's just something good, it's interesting and it's popular with soldiers and public alike.

it's all voluntary and always over subscribed.

i'm surprised someone with an interest in the military like yourself GttC would begrudge their presence at such an event.

i'd much rather see well turned out, disciplined, diligent and enthusiastic military personnel who have volunteered to be there, rather than some civvie meat head contracted in at £50 a day.

i think it's great that our Soldiers, Sailors and Airmen get to do this.
                    RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Hi RGJ,
                      Im all for positive promotion of the Military, especially your guys in wartime.No problem there. Coming from a Military where sloping-off on cushy numbers and leaving others to carry the load was/is honed to a fine art, it's a bit galling. It also undermines any commander's legitimate complaint of insufficient manpower, if the system can spare several hundred people to shepherd punters at a non-military event.Apart from that, the UK Military, in general, are highly promoted on a public level every day of the week(Red Arrows/Royal parades/Tattoos/Airshows,etc) and are probably enjoying/experiencing the most positive public reaction/attitude/respect of the UK public in a long time, anyway.
                      regards
                      GttC

Comment

Mod - Be Advised - I have deleted many posts and handed out points for off topic posting. Keep this thread on topic.

Comment

in the international fishing festival in cobh naval personell went with the fishermen for the 3 days to act as umpires an record the weight of fish...great laugh 12 hours sub for each day and invited to the dinner dance with partner on the final night...dont think it happens now but it was a good one..one boat we were on was military police from england..not much fishing but plenty of crates consumed..they also gave any edible fish away as well..the dutch team was the crowd not to go with ..arrogant and thought you were the slave for the day..

Comment

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
                            Hi RGJ,
                            Im all for positive promotion of the Military, especially your guys in wartime.No problem there. Coming from a Military where sloping-off on cushy numbers and leaving others to carry the load was/is honed to a fine art, it's a bit galling. It also undermines any commander's legitimate complaint of insufficient manpower, if the system can spare several hundred people to shepherd punters at a non-military event.Apart from that, the UK Military, in general, are highly promoted on a public level every day of the week(Red Arrows/Royal parades/Tattoos/Airshows,etc) and are probably enjoying/experiencing the most positive public reaction/attitude/respect of the UK public in a long time, anyway.
                            regards
                            GttC
                            GttC - things are different here - because we send 'formed units' - if a guys Battalion / Unit is not on operations - then the soldier from that unit will not be on operations.

and the complaints of in-sufficient manpower is not a lack of manpower within units deployed - it's a lack of UK boots on the ground overall and that's because the UK government hasn't committed enough troops out there. we are already virtually up to strength and enforcing more control measures to get rid of people who are not required.

we could easily double the amount of troops we have in Afghan if allowed - but that is not our decision to make. lads like myself are crying out to get to Afghan but because the units i and many others are with are not out there - there are plenty of other things to be doing here in the UK.

so don't let the sight of soldiers at Wimbledon and a lack of them in Afghan cloud your judgement on this - manpower and 'cushy numbers' is not an issue - just like the soldiers who were in the Royal Box at Wimbledon - they did their time in Afghan and that day was their payback.

long live Wimbledon and long live the tradition of having the military attending.
                            RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Had a chat and a beer with a Royal Navy Team at Cork Week last night. A few Royals in there too. Great bunch of lads.

With all the yachts in Haulbowline, is there/was there a Naval Service team?
                              "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

Working...
                              X