Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RoyalGreenJacket
    replied
    and we have HMS Illustrious coming out of an extensive and costly refit this year until she is decommissioned in 2014 - with no Harriers on board!

Brilliant.

Leave a comment:

• Goldie fish
    replied
    Takes the tornado longer to get in the air also, and it needs a Real runway. Neither of which are common in Kandahar.

Leave a comment:

• RoyalGreenJacket
    replied
    agreed it's a total cluster fcuk. i know lads in Afghan who really appreciated the Harrier as it got 'down and dirty' compared to the higher but faster flying Tornado's that took over from them during their tour of duty there.

our ability to project any aerial force overseas now relies solely on being granted permission to land base in the proximity, with even more dependence on IFR.

Leave a comment:

• Goldie fish
    replied
    They didnt want to build it, but to pull out at this stage would cost them more.

And we thought it was only us who suffered from empire protection amongst senior ranks. The RAF should be ashamed of their behaviour here.
    There are even rumours now that the RN may forget the F35 completely, and go for F18s instead.

Leave a comment:

• Barry
    replied
    So now there's a carrier under construction that will only be in commission for 3 years, and will never carry fixed wing aircraft......

Leave a comment:

• SwiftandSure
    replied
    Bad times

Leave a comment:

• trellheim
    replied
    43 years flying not bad. I thought they were waiting till the F-35 squadrons were stood up ?

Leave a comment:

• Goldie fish
    replied
    Tornado ADV has never even fired a shot in anger, and it has already been replaced by Typhoon!

Leave a comment:

• Barry
    replied
    And yet tornado lives on - there's logic for you.

Leave a comment:

• turbocalves
    replied
    Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post

a big mistake in my opinion, an easy victim for our defence cuts.

bye bye Harrier
    +1

Leave a comment:

• RoyalGreenJacket
    started a topic Harriers - Final Flight

Harriers - Final Flight

the Royal Air Force and Royal Navy's Harrier Jump Jets have flown for the last time today.

i'm gutted - they have always been in my life.

a big mistake in my opinion, an easy victim for our defence cuts.

bye bye Harrier
Working...
X