With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
    He put a bullet through his brain.
    And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
    Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
    Sneak home and pray you'll never know
    The hell where youth and laughter go.

Comment

I visited the memorial he had built in Normandy for those lost in Easy Company in 1944, even having something like that done for the men he lost under his command endeared me to him,

Rest in Peace
      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

RIP. Oddly enough, was just thinking about whether or not he was still around the other day.
        "Everyone's for a free Tibet, but no one's for freeing Tibet." -Mark Steyn. What an IMO-centric quote, eh?

Comment

I think this is as good a reason as any to knock the dust off the Band Of Brothers Box set.
          I'm sure many more will do likewise

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Rest In Peace
            Trouble, Trouble, I tried to chase trouble but its chasing me.
            Trouble, trouble, trouble with a capitol T
            do do do do do do do da do do do. etc etc......

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
              I think this is as good a reason as any to knock the dust off the Band Of Brothers Box set.
              I'm sure many more will do likewise
              Indeed...
              "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

RIP Maj Winters

I suppose that its just coincidence but its interesting that a story about his passing has appeared in the examiner a day after this thread started.

http://www.examiner.ie/world/band-of...92-141727.html
                Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Comment

After returning home, Winters married his wife, Ethel, in May 1948, and trained infantry and Army Ranger units at Fort Dix during the Korean War
                  I find it quite amazing that he never went higher than Major, considering he was
                  a WWII vet who stayed in the military after that war finished...
                  "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

He didnt stay in the army after WWII but got called up during the Korean War and spent that time training Officers He was demobbed after Korea and returned to civilian life. It appears to have been his choice not to stay in the military, If it wasn't for Stephen Ambrose and Band of Brothers, his deeds would not have been recognised outside a small few, He appears to have been a very private man who didnt really like the spotlight.RIP

Comment

Hi there,
                      I wonder what he thought of the "Band of Brothers" series itself. Certainly, I read of one of the veterans complaining that the retelling of one particular ambush was quite wrong (where Guarnier shoots up the cart) and that several critical battles were, obviously, shortened for TV.
                      regards
                      GttC

Comment

Saddened to hear of the Passing of Buck Compton.
                        Lynn D. 'Buck' Compton dies at 90; judge also known for WWII service
                        As a lawyer, Lynn Compton headed the three-man team that prosecuted Sirhan B. Sirhan for the slaying of Robert F. Kennedy. After he retired from the bench, he and others became known for the exploits depicted in the miniseries 'Band of Brothers.

By Dennis McLellan, Los Angeles Times

February 29, 2012
                        As a Los Angeles deputy district attorney, Lynn D. "Buck" Compton was known for heading the three-man team that successfully prosecuted Sirhan B. Sirhan for the 1968 slaying of U.S. Sen. Robert F. Kennedy.

And after then-Gov. Ronald Reagan appointed him to the 2nd District Court of Appeal in 1970, he was known as one of its most conservative jurists.

But it was long after he retired from the bench in 1990 that Compton became known for something that previously had been mentioned only in passing in newspaper articles about him: his World War II military service.

Compton was a first lieutenant in Easy Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment in the Army's 101st Airborne Division — one of the true-life characters who gained late-in-life renown when they were portrayed in "Band of Brothers," the 2001 HBO miniseries based on historian Stephen E. Ambrose's 1992 bestseller.

Compton, who suffered a heart attack Jan. 11, died Saturday at his daughter Tracy's home in Burlington, Wash., said his family. He was 90.

After parachuting into Normandy during the early hours of D-day in June 1944, Compton was part of the assault group that destroyed the German artillery during the battle at Brecourt Manor. He fought at Carentan, participated in Operation Market Garden in Holland and helped defend Bastogne during the Battle of the Bulge.

Before the war was over, he had been awarded a Silver Star and a Purple Heart

"Not too many people knew about his military heroics until the miniseries," said Tracy Compton.

As her sister Syndee put it: "His career as a prosecutor and a judge overrode his military career until 'Band of Brothers' came out, and then it just went crazy. Then it became more about him being in the military rather than his being a judge or a prosecutor."

Syndee Compton said her father was surprised by suddenly being in the spotlight.

"I think it probably shocked all of them," she said. "I don't think any of them in their wildest dreams thought at 80 years of age they'd be getting this attention."

In the years after "Band of Brothers," Compton was asked to speak at local schools and at military bases in Germany and South Korea.

He also continued to receive fan mail from around the world.

His family estimated that nearly 400 people showed up in January for a 90th birthday celebration for Compton at the Skagit Regional Airport in Burlington, including children of other "Band of Brothers" veterans.

"All I can say is it's flattering — and kind of embarrassing," the Skagit Valley Herald reported Compton as saying. "We didn't expect anything more than those other guys [in the war]. We're celebrating longevity more than anything."

The crowd included four actors from "Band of Brothers": Michael Cudlitz, James Madio, Richard Speight Jr. and Neal McDonough, who portrayed Compton in the miniseries.

McDonough recalled meeting with Compton in Burlington the day before he flew to London to begin filming "Band of Brothers" and later peppering him with "phone calls at all hours" with more questions about his time during the war.

"When you play a historical figure, you have to do it right and tell the truth," McDonough told The Times this week, recalling that Compton would tell him, "I didn't really do anything; I was just doing my job."

"He'd say that's what soldiers do," said McDonough, who kept in touch with Compton and nicknamed his 6-year-old son Morgan "Little Buck" in his honor. "He did extraordinary things in his life and never took credit for it."
                        http://www.latimes.com/news/obituari...ailed+Stories)

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Sad news.

May he Rest in Peace.
                          'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Comment

Rip
                            'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
                            'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
                            Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
                            He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
                            http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

Rip

Comment

Rest in peace sir
                                Cry "havoc!", and let slip the dogs of war!

Comment

Working...
                                X