Major Richard "Dick" Winters has died, RIP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rest in Peace
    "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
    Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

If you watched the series, Band of Brothers you will remember Shifty as the guy who was the best shot in the company. He was called upon several times in the series to take care of a German sniper or to give cover so other troops could maneuver.
      IT WON'T BE LONG TILL NO ONE REMEMBERS,AND WORSE,NO ONE WILL CARE....
      A real hero God bless him.

SHIFTY DIED JAN 17, 2011 rest in peace.

"Shifty" By Chuck Yeager
      Shifty volunteered for the airborne in WWII and served with Easy Company of the 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, part of the 101st Airborne Infantry. If you've seen Band of Brothers on HBO or the History Channel, you know Shifty. His character appears in all 10 Episodes, and Shifty himself is interviewed in several of them.
      I met Shifty in the Philadelphia airport several years ago. I didn't know who he was at the time.I just saw an elderly gentleman having Trouble reading his ticket.I offered to help, assured him that he was at the right gate, and noticed the "Screaming Eagle," the symbol of The 101st Airborne, on his hat.
      Making conversation, I asked him if he d been in the 101st Airborne Or if his son was serving. He said quietly that he had been in the 101st. I thanked him for his service, then asked him when he served, and how many jumps he made.Quietly and humbly, he said "Well, I guess I signed up in 1941 or so, and was in until sometime in 1945 ... " at which point my heart skipped.
      At that point, again, very humbly, he said "I made the 5 training Jumps at Toccoa, and then jumped into Normandy .. Do you know where Normandy is?"At this point my heart stopped. I told him "Yes, I know exactly where Normandy is,and I know what D-Day was."
      At that point he said "I also made a second jump into Holland , into Arnhem ."
      I was standing with a genuine war hero ....And then I realized that it was June, just after the anniversary of D-Day. I asked Shifty if he was on his way back from France , and he said "Yes... And it's
      real sad because, these days, so few of the guys are left, and those that are, lots of them can't make the trip."My heart was in my throat and I didn't know what to say.
      I helped Shifty get onto the plane and then realized he was back in Coach while I was in First Class. I sent the flight attendant back to get him and said that I wanted to switch seats. When Shifty came forward, I got up out of the seat and told him I wanted him to have it, that I'd take his in coach.
      He said "No, son, you enjoy that seat. Just knowing that there are still some who remember what we did and who still care is enough to make an old man very happy." His eyes were filling up as he said it. And mine are brimming up now as I write this.
      Shifty died on Jan. 17 after fighting cancer.
      There was no parade.
      No big event in Staples Center ..
      No wall to wall back to back 24x7 news coverage.
      No weeping fans on television.
      And that's not right!!
      Let's give Shifty his own Memorial Service, online, in our own quiet way.
      Please forward this email to everyone you know. Especially to the veterans.
      Rest in peace, Shifty.
      Chuck Yeager, Maj Gen. [ret.]
      P.S. I think that it is amazing how the "media" chooses our "heroes" these days... Michael Jackson & the like!
      Amen I say JAKE

Please do me a favor and pass this on so that untold thousands can read it.....
      We owe no less to our REAL HEROES......

Comment

Another of Easy Company went to his eternal Reward recently.

Perconte, Frank Age 96. Passed away on Thursday, October 24, 2013. Born in Joliet he was a lifelong resident of Joliet. He retired from the U.S. Postal Service as a carrier. Frank was a veteran of WWII, serving proudly with the U.S. Army, 101st Airborne "Screaming Eagles". - See more at: http://legacy.suburbanchicagonews.co....m8il5pGY.dpuf.
        Perconte was a non-commissioned officer in 1st Platoon. In 1942, while on leave from Toccoa, he married Evelyn and had a son named Richard.[5] He participated in the division's airborne assault on France on D-Day, and saw action during Operation Market Garden and the Battle of the Bulge. On Easy's assault on the town of Foy on January 13, 1945, he was shot in the thigh by a German sniper. Frank was out for a couple of days before re-joining Easy at the town of Haguenau.

In late April 1945, Perconte along with Denver Randleman, and a few others were patrolling an area outside of Company E's headquarters, and along the way they discovered the Kaufering concentration camp in Landsberg, Germany. Perconte ran back to headquarters and alerted Major Richard Winters. Perconte and Winters were joined by the rest of Easy company on the trip back to the camp

he was portrayed in the miniseries "Band of Brothers" by the actor James Madio, right. (CHARLES CHERNEY, CHICAGO TRIBUNE)

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

I can't wait to see the German film industry make "Band of Fallschirmjagers" or the British make "Band of Paras".....all this luvving up of American paras is getting a bit tedious;-)

regards
          GttC

Comment

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
            I can't wait to see the German film industry make "Band of Fallschirmjagers" or the British make "Band of Paras".....all this luvving up of American paras is getting a bit tedious;-)

regards
            GttC

There was a show on RTE 2 tonight at (I think) 2100 actually :D
            I knew a simple soldier boy.....
            Who grinned at life in empty joy,
            Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
            And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
            With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
            He put a bullet through his brain.
            And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
            Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
            Sneak home and pray you'll never know
            The hell where youth and laughter go.

Comment

Originally posted by Buck View Post
              There was a show on RTE 2 tonight at (I think) 2100 actually :D
              Was that the show 'Unsere Vater' or something along those lines? Interesting show. The battle scenes were good but german tv is shit.
              To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

Originally posted by HavocIRL View Post
                Was that the show 'Unsere Vater' or something along those lines? Interesting show. The battle scenes were good but german tv is shit.
                Unsere Mutter, Unsere Vater, yeah. It was given a different name...can't remember off the top of my head. I actually missed it. Was it the sub titling or the acting you didn't like?
                I knew a simple soldier boy.....
                Who grinned at life in empty joy,
                Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
                And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
                With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
                He put a bullet through his brain.
                And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
                Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
                Sneak home and pray you'll never know
                The hell where youth and laughter go.

Comment

Unsere Mutter, Unsere Vater, yeah. It was given a different name...can't remember off the top of my head. I actually missed it. Was it the sub titling or the acting you didn't like?
                  It was going for the band of brothers feel but it was more drama then action compared to band of brothers. Plus its really hard to empathize with the Germans during WWII
                  To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

Downfall is by far the best German production on WW2 that ive seen. Unser Mutter, Unser Vater was worth a watch though.

Comment

The given English name is "Generation War"
                      The German translates as "Our Mother, Our Father"
                      Have recorded it to watch, so will be interested to see what it is like
                      "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by Schmigs View Post
                        Downfall is by far the best German production on WW2 that ive seen. Unser Mutter, Unser Vater was worth a watch though.
                        Have you seen "Stalingrad" ? Great film
                        "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

I always rated Das Boot pretty highly...missed that show on Sunday night...meant to record it.
                          'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Comment

Originally posted by spider View Post
                            I always rated Das Boot pretty highly...missed that show on Sunday night...meant to record it.
                            I remember seeing Das Boot in black and white originally. does anyone know if the colour version was a re-make?

Comment

Not sure Lorenco...I only ever saw the colour version...until a few minutes ago when I searched for my favourite scene.

The mid-Atlantic chance meeting of two U-Boats in a storm...'Thomsen...Das ist Thomsem'!!!

Its on Youtube...defo black and white: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDsCR0kweDk

I had the soundtrack cassette at one stage...but lent it to someone and never saw it again.
                              'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Comment

Originally posted by Lorenco View Post
                                I remember seeing Das Boot in black and white originally. does anyone know if the colour version was a re-make?
                                No, your telly was broke.
                                It was originally a mini-series, which was then made into a film.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Working...
                                X