Major Richard "Dick" Winters has died, RIP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Major Richard "Dick" Winters has died, RIP

I haven't seen this put up on IMO yet so I shall add this thread. I just read on militaryphotos the sad news that Major Dick Winters of Band of Brothers Fame has died. He was 92. I always thought he sounded like a very genuine person seeing his interviews during Band of Brothers.

RIP

I regret to report that Richard "Dick" Winters has made his final jump - he has passed away on January 2, 2011 after a long illness; Major W...

EDIT. Just a reminder that zygo soccer report is probably not the most reliable source and I can't seem to find much else yet elsewhere. Wikipedia has disabled editing his page until a reliable source can be found. Just something to bare in mind in case this turns out to be an internet rumour.

EDIT 2: Another source here that might be a bit more reliable than the last.

Last edited by Goose; 10 January 2011, 01:19.

An amazing man

the world is better for him having graced it

but worse for us losing him
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

I think the amazing thing about this man is after doing what he did, he almost vanished back into "normal" life, owning a company providing animal feed.
      Only after Stephen Ambrose's book did he return to the public eye.(Ambrose Pre Deceased him in 2002)

I Wonder will he get the Medal of honour posthumously? I know there were efforts to award him. He had been recommended for it, but there was a divisional quota.

We could do with more like him.
      R.I.P

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by hedge hog View Post
        An amazing man

the world is better for him having graced it

but worse for us losing him
        He was a ginger (just like me)......

And a Tee Total (just like me)......
        But there's no danger
        It's a professional career
        Though it could be arranged
        With just a word in Mr. Churchill's ear
        If you're out of luck you're out of work
        We could send you to johannesburg.

(Elvis Costello, Olivers Army)

Comment

Dick Winters RIP

Quite a guy... I actaully thought he'd died since the making of "Band of Brothers'
          "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by turbocalves View Post
            He was a ginger (just like me)......

And a Tee Total (just like me)......
            How do u know he was ginger?

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
              How do u know he was ginger?
              Presumably he's going what he looked like in the series ?
              "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

RIP Sir.

Comment

I recall reading an article in which one the reasons Damian Lewis said he was chosen for the role was that he had a mop of ginger hair which he had in common. with winters.....
                  But there's no danger
                  It's a professional career
                  Though it could be arranged
                  With just a word in Mr. Churchill's ear
                  If you're out of luck you're out of work
                  We could send you to johannesburg.

(Elvis Costello, Olivers Army)

Comment

Rip
                    To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

Rest in Peace.
                      "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
                      Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
                      Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Rest in Peace.Currahee!
                        "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

RIP That man.

The term may be thrown around to the point of cliché, but Dick Winters really did lead a life less ordinary.

A true hero and idol in a world that attributes those terms to people who couldn't begin to fathom Dick's achievements. And despite all he did, he seemed to remain humble until the end.

The world is a greater place for his being here. It's an inevitable shame he's gone.

Currahee!

Comment

has he got an autobiography..apart from the band of brothers

Comment

Originally posted by golden rivet View Post
                              has he got an autobiography..apart from the band of brothers
                              Bio
                              Biggest Brother: The Life of Major Dick Winters, The Man Who Led the Band of Brothers, written by Larry Alexander(2005)

and autobiography
                              Beyond Band of Brothers: The War Memoirs of Major Dick Winters(2006)

Comment

Working...
                              X