War of ind service medals.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• War of ind service medals.

Trying to understand military paperwork of the 1950s, thanks to the kind people in Mil Archives, who have greatly assisted a colleague in tracing his grandfathers history, and activities during the period 1917-1921.

I have a copy of the application for issue of service(1917-1921) medal.
    authority to issue the following seems to have been granted on the upper part of the form
    1916 medal
    Service(1917-1921) Medal with Bar
    Service(1917-1921) Medal

Membership for the period of three months up to and including 11th July 1921

on the lower half of the form, however, indexed F.3.c.(m) only the line next to the "service medal issued" is completed with a reference number, handwritten.
    My Colleague is only aware of his relative having one medal.

Should he have all 3? The service record provided seems to indicate he had service in 1920, and took part in certain activities while armed, albeit not taking active participation in same.

Is anyone familiar with the document I am looking at? It was issued to the individual(presumably with medal) in 1951/52

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

OK I am looking at a similar page with File to F3A 28/6/45 on it and it is just for a service medal. He most probably just got the service medal. Those who got medal and bar got a pension so they were slow to give it out.

Nobody could have 3 medals just the 1916 if they fitted the criteria for that and either the black & tan medal with or without bar. 1971 saw the survivors medal issued.

Comment

This man would have died in early 1966, so would not have been eligible for the survivors medal

Thanks for that, those old docs are hard to follow.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Just on War of Independence medals, I think this used to be explained on the old version of www.military.ie but it's gone since the site was updaed...can replacement medals be got?

My granda was in the IRA from 1917-22, then transferred to the new army. I've seen his service record in Military Archives (SDR number 1083 = serial number? which they said is a very early one) and he was awarded a pension with mid-1919 taken as being the start of his pensionable service. I've written to Renmore but with their year-long waiting list, it'll be next January before I hear back from them.

My da remembers the old army uniform being in the attic of their house in Belfast but he has no recollection of seeing a medal, although he remembers the pension cheques coming from Dublin alright. Depending on what comes back from Renmore, does anyone know if I could apply for a replacement of my granda's medal or is that just a pipe-dream?

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Henry Jr View Post
          Just on War of Independence medals, I think this used to be explained on the old version of www.military.ie but it's gone since the site was updaed...can replacement medals be got?

My granda was in the IRA from 1917-22, then transferred to the new army. I've seen his service record in Military Archives (SDR number 1083 = serial number? which they said is a very early one) and he was awarded a pension with mid-1919 taken as being the start of his pensionable service. I've written to Renmore but with their year-long waiting list, it'll be next January before I hear back from them.

My da remembers the old army uniform being in the attic of their house in Belfast but he has no recollection of seeing a medal, although he remembers the pension cheques coming from Dublin alright. Depending on what comes back from Renmore, does anyone know if I could apply for a replacement of my granda's medal or is that just a pipe-dream?
          Is it possible someone else in your family has the medal?

Comment

Afraid not. My da was an only child - we were living in London when my granda died in 1967 so there was no-one to sort through his belongings after the funeral. The house had been rented since the 1920s so the landlord just put the whole contents in a skip - including my granda's old Army uniform, which my da remembers hanging in the attic.

Comment

Working...
            X