Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St Mary's Collegiate church, Youghal.

Hi all,
    In all my years going down to Youghal, I never knew this place existed until three days ago. This church/predecessors has stood since the 14th century and is open to the public. It's C of I/Anglican/Episcopalian and has a fascinating old graveyard as well as a large part of Youghal's city walls. Inside, it has many plaques to the dead of many wars, including one 19-year old 2nd Lieutenant who fell on the first day of the Somme (they even have his original grave marker). The grave yard is being stripped of years of undergrowth and new paths have ben laid, all by local volunteer labour. Well worth a visit.
    regards
    GttC

Is this the place?

http://www.youghal.cork.anglican.org/

Comment

That's it. They make a great job of it during the harvest festival too.
      In times past, both RC and CofI celebrated together.

However the vatican didn't like that kind of carry on...

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Looks well worth a visit. The roof timbers in the nave are impressive. The stories a building like that could tell.

Comment

Weekend a lot in Ardmore. must check it out next time down

Comment

Originally posted by sofa View Post
            Weekend a lot in Ardmore.
            Why???

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

That's it. You could easily spend a day there. I'd never seen the City Walls before. I'll definitely go back.
              regards
              GttC

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                Why???
                Nice quite village. bit of fishing .very good restaurant "white Horses"

Now only two and a half hours from Dublin, Being going there with my family

since I was a kid. so feel a attachment to the place.

Comment

one interesting thing in the church is the guest book as you can see who signed the book one hundred years ago on another guest book...great spot...beware though the gates close at strict times and there is no way out...

Comment

Working...
                  X