No announcement yet.

Soldier Took On IRA In Sortie Over Border 37 Years Ago

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This guy appears to be the real deal, some of his former colleagues from 4th Cav have commented on the guy related to some photos on face book,,,regular nutcase it would appear.
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

you should have seen what he did when he had us on tactics in the glen..thousands of blanks ..it really was like the battle of the somme

Comment

In a similar vein to sorties over the border, I spotted this - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...d-soldier.html

According to the article, he did some missions into the South. In the third last paragraph - 'He said: "Paul was a kind man. When he was in Northern Ireland he was on a reconnaissance mission into southern Ireland and came under attack. His best friend was killed but they couldn't bring a helicopter in to pick them up. Paul carried his body for five miles to the border."'

A little suspect?

Comment

Originally posted by FMolloy View Post
          If they cut back anymore we'll be taking lifts again...
          Originally posted by spider View Post
          The RUC / Guards worked a lot closer than a lot of people realise...and made many strong friendships.
          I recall seeing a documentary on youtube (I believe it was RUC: Force under fire, however I cannot find the particular part of the documentary at the moment) in which a retired officer recounted, whilst being stationed in Strabane, regularly throwing a jacket over his uniform and disappearing over the border with an Inspector to Lifford Gardai station so they could take the local guard around for a couple of hours whilst he carried out some enquries due to the lack of a gardai vehicle at the time.

I can't recall whether it was just before the troubles or just after they started.

EDIT: Found it, not quite as I remembered it but if you skip forward to 21 mins
          A history of the Royal Ulster Constabulary for Ulster Television (1991) by Chris Ryder.A great insight to the world's best ever police force...
          Last edited by mugs; 3 April 2013, 17:52.
          Theirs not to make reply,
          Theirs not to reason why,
          Theirs but to do and die:
          Into the valley of Death
          Rode the six hundred.

The Charge of the Light Brigade

Comment

Originally posted by mugs View Post
            I recall seeing a documentary on youtube (I believe it was RUC: Force under fire, however I cannot find the particular part of the documentary at the moment) in which a retired officer recounted, whilst being stationed in Strabane, regularly throwing a jacket over his uniform and disappearing over the border with an Inspector to Lifford Gardai station so they could take the local guard around for a couple of hours whilst he carried out some enquries due to the lack of a gardai vehicle at the time.

I can't recall whether it was just before the troubles or just after they started.

EDIT: Found it, not quite as I remembered it but if you skip forward to 21 mins
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkhLwrwjR0Y
            " And this was fully reciprocated " edited before he could continue. (why ruin a good story)

Comment

Working...
            X