Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Magazine Fort, Phoenix Park

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Magazine Fort, Phoenix Park

    Was down in the Park this morning. There seems to be repair work being carried out, scaffolding up and new rooves going on.

    Anyone know what the plans are, if any?
    I'm not a number, I'm a free man.
    Who is number 1?

  • #2
    New RDF headquarters?????

    Comment


    • #3
      Noticed that myself yesterday heading out of the park , a few of the OPW lads pop into St Marys where I work. Will make inquiries .
      Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

      Comment


      • #4
        Magazine Fort in Phoenix Park to be restored and upgraded with new visitor experience (thejournal.ie)

        Interactive visitor experience are words that fill me with dread. Anyone who visited the Cliffs of Moher before 2001 and anyone who visited it recently will know what I mean.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
          Magazine Fort in Phoenix Park to be restored and upgraded with new visitor experience (thejournal.ie)

          Interactive visitor experience are words that fill me with dread. Anyone who visited the Cliffs of Moher before 2001 and anyone who visited it recently will know what I mean.
          I thought Cliffs of Moher interactive was very good (visited this year).

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by DeV View Post

            I thought Cliffs of Moher interactive was very good (visited this year).
            Had you been there before it was built?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post

              Had you been there before it was built?
              No

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by DeV View Post

                No
                Before the interpretive centre existed, anyone could, at any time of the day, roll up to the parking area by the cliffs, and enjoy whatever they wanted to enjoy of them. Sunset on the west coast is spectacular. Last one in Europe to watch the sun go down. Sunrise, just as good.
                Now you can only visit during opening hours, pay to park and are fed through the telly tubby house, which has no views of the actual scenery outdoors, though you can watch the cliff experience on their AV presentation though. (€10 peak season, €8 off peak). Enjoy lunch at our noisy cafe with views of the Coach Park. (Unless there are tours due, when all the seats will be marked "reserved".)
                Then if you want to you can make your way to the actual cliffs, well you already paid to look at them so off you go.(visit O'Briens tower, a 2 room mini castle with a view 10 foot higher than that on the ground)..
                Until they close(9pm in summer, 5pm in winter).
                Don't forget to buy some cheap chinese made novelty gift from the gift shop to celebrate your visit. I bet none of your friends has an authentic Guinness T shirt to show them you were in Ireland. A post card showing a donkey, or a herd of sheep with the hilarious title "traffic jam in Ireland". You know the same ones that are for sale in Every duty free shop in the country where you will depart from, and every other tourist attraction you will visit during your stay...

                Comment


                • #9
                  Has anyone ever toured the Magazine Fort? Is it big enough to be a credible Irish Military Museum?

                  Comment


                  • #10

                    I went to Fiona Shaw's staging poem The Waste Land by TS Eliot in 1995 which was memorable for both the actor's performance and the setting. It was part of the Dublin Theatre Festival and the audience was ferried by bus to and from the city centre. I doubt it would be big enough for a credible Irish Military Museum but it was dark that night and we were herded into one of the long sheds, reminiscent of Fort Camden.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I'm with na Grohmiti on interactive museums. Fort Camden is a good example of what can be done with such old buildings .

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Tempest View Post
                        Has anyone ever toured the Magazine Fort? Is it big enough to be a credible Irish Military Museum?
                        It first opened for a tour a few years ago only for a few weeks, it is a sizeable area

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by FLIPPER View Post
                          I'm with na Grohmiti on interactive museums. Fort Camden is a good example of what can be done with such old buildings .
                          Camden getting a great showing as the HQ of the current season of Hell Week.
                          Yes, they left it more or less intact, utilising the internal space for temporary exhibits. Its a nice place to spend a few hours when normality resumes.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Do the contestants get to stagger up the hill from Crosshaven on payday like we did during sluggie summer camp .
                            Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Laners View Post
                              Do the contestants get to stagger up the hill from Crosshaven on payday like we did during sluggie summer camp .
                              Worse. Much worse.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X