Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Budapest

Hi all
    On hols in Budapest. Things to see and do, of a military nature, military history museum up on hills above city (Citadel, mil museum). the museum is very good and has a very good exhibition on the 56 revolution, references to which are everywhere in the city. Hungary was in lots of wars so there are a lot of old artifacts about, although i did notice a lack of ww2 stuff (as they are a shade embarrassed to have thrown their lot in with the Nazis). Endless amounts of Soviet tat in the antique shops and street vendors have endless amount of cheap badges and not so cheap hats. Quite a few Nazi trinkets in some of the antique shops but most look as if they are of Chinese origin. Also visited the Hospital in the Rock, which did service in WW 2 and the 56 episode, as both a hospital and a nuclear fallout shelter. Worth a look in its own right. Theres more out there but it takes a bit of effort to dig it out.

regards
    GttC

SO, the West Wickla Runner In has now become the Budapest Runner In!!!! .................Staying there????

Comment

No, just hols. I only touched the surface of the military stuff. I was in Budaors airfield yesterday, which has a Mig-21F on a plinth and four recent MiG-21s stored in the hangar, as well as a resident operational Li-2 and a po-2 as well as plenty of Czech Zlins, 143 and 326. There's also a small aviation museum in the City Park in the city itself, which has an MI-1, among other Czech and Hungarian aircraft (GA types). Elsewhere, near the main airport is a collection of Malev's old fleet and there is also an armour museum at an old barracks. As you can imagine, most of the stuff is of Russian origin and is widely seen in eastern europe.

regards
      GttC

Comment

The House of Terror, 60, Andrassy Avenue which was the HQ of the secret police and contains many records and relics of that era is worth a visit.

Comment

went there and it was excellent. Grim place, to say the least. Compulsory visiting, really. There is also a big military museum at a town called Kecel, south of Budapest, which has a huge collection of aircraft and land warfare items. I wasn't able to fit it in but it looks good.

regards
          GttC

Comment

Working...
          X