Chaco: South Americas Ww1 (1932-1935)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chaco: South Americas Ww1 (1932-1935)

The Chaco War (Spanish:Guerra del Chaco) is the biggest modern conflict in South America during 1932 to 1935. Bolivia was led by the German General Hans Kundt who had a larger, better equipped army. Paraguay led by Marshal José Félix Estigarribia and White Russian Generals had less men but successfully fought back, who in small groups outed the larger and better equipped Bolivian Army in the Battle of Boqueron. The Paraguayan Army, much like the British rifle regiments wore a dark green uniform with bush hats. Both sides were using British equipment such as Bren LMG's (the Czech ZB26 predecessor) Vickers MGs and British Tanks. Outdated WW1 aircraft were also used, 20 years before everyone were using jet fighters.

To this day, the trenches of both sides still stand in the chaco region as well as the hollow trees used for snipers. A memorial also marks the battle. There are still chaco veterans of both sides still alive today.

Documentary:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSnlGllMzok

In the hell of Chaco (1932 B&W film):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOp-xQpITlc

Both links are kaput.

Comment

Very random first post.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Man, as if that Bolivia/Paraguay rivalry hadn't been done to death on this forum already...
        "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

Is this the war where the Paraguayan male population was literally decimated?

Comment

I'll have to look it up, but I think there may have been an Irish commander in this conflict too. I recall recently hearing a book review on Newstalk about an Irishman commanding armies in South America. I can't remember if it was that particular conflict.

Comment

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
              Is this the war where the Paraguayan male population was literally decimated?
              I think that was the war of the Triple Alliance, when Paraguay's slightly ambitious dictator (driven in part by his Irish mistress) took on Brazil, Argentina and Uruguay
              "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

Originally posted by danno View Post
                Both links are kaput.
                Go on youtube and type in En el Infierno del Chaco for the 1932 movie, or Guerra del Chaco if you want videos. There is some stuff but that many.

As for General Jose Felix Estigarribia, he was actually one of the best ever generals in history.

Comment

Working...
                X