This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British and Irish soldiers who fought in the British Army remembered

British Prime Minister David Cameron and his Irish Taoiseach Enda Kenny toured World War I sites in Belgium today, deepening ties in remembrance of Irishmen who fought alongside Britons at the height of the Dublin insurrection.

The visit to the former Western Front in the Flanders region included a stop at the Island of Ireland Peace Park at Messines, a memorial to 50,000 Irish war dead.

see more: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-25451677

great to see soldiers of both nations who served with the British Army remembered together like this.
    Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 19 December 2013, 19:55.
    RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

When will they get around to recognizing those who died in WW2?
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Yes the Peace Park opened by the President McAleese and Queen in 1998

And reopened in 2004

It should be an annual event

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
        When will they get around to recognizing those who died in WW2?
        RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

I would hope to see a very large Official PDF participation in Menin Gate in 1917. My dream would be to see a PDF GOH outside the Ulster Tower in Thiepval.
          Someday maybe.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Pity we can't do the same on Island. I know the brits have extended the hand of friendship and invited the DF to things, but either the army brass or or dfa didn't want anything to do with it in case some of the locals took and adverse reaction.

Comment

Funny that when somebody commented on the DF FB page about our lads not wearing their brand spanking new greatcoats,bought at no little cost to the taxpayer,in what was obviously bad weather.The comment was removed.
              Typical press office.Only positive comments allowed but heaven forbid anybody point out that the troops welfare was neglected!
              "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Originally posted by apod View Post
                Funny that when somebody commented on the DF FB page about our lads not wearing their brand spanking new greatcoats,bought at no little cost to the taxpayer,in what was obviously bad weather.The comment was removed.
                Typical press office.Only positive comments allowed but heaven forbid anybody point out that the troops welfare was neglected!
                would have been very good to seen ONH soldiers in great coats. weather usually dictates the wearing of them.

David Cameron wore a coat too, while Enda Kenny just wore his suit.

i guess the Irish lads just thought it was a mild day.
                Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 20 December 2013, 10:11.
                RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Was trying to work that out myself apod, setting there was such a huge push to get people fitted and issued in recent times. Surely almost everyone is sorted at this stage?

Comment

Originally posted by northie View Post
                    Was trying to work that out myself apod, setting there was such a huge push to get people fitted and issued in recent times. Surely almost everyone is sorted at this stage?
                    i was issued mine in the FCA in 1988 - still in my shed somewhere if they need it.
                    RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
                      i was issued mine in the FCA in 1988 - still in my shed somewhere if they need it.
                      theres been a new type issued this year.

Comment

Maybe its the fact that Irish Soldiers are tougher than our UK counterparts- Its with some pride that we can say Enda would easily take Cameron- but the Queen would take Michael D.

On a lighter note- what are the new coats like- any picciess of coateeeeees pleaseeee.
                        Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                        Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                        The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                        The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                        The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                        Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                          Maybe its the fact that Irish Soldiers are tougher than our UK counterparts- Its with some pride that we can say Enda would easily take Cameron- but the Queen would take Michael D.

On a lighter note- what are the new coats like- any picciess of coateeeeees pleaseeee.
                          No pics I'm afraid but the material looks a bit like a lighter weight version of the officers superfine material. Its a step forward on the last one anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                            Maybe its the fact that Irish Soldiers are tougher than our UK counterparts
                            or maybe its the fact the British Soldiers have a more appropriate and greater variety of uniform than our Irish counterparts
                            RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
                              or maybe its the fact the British Soldiers have a more appropriate and greater variety of uniform than our Irish counterparts
                              Do all British Soldiers have the same greatcoats? I thought those pictured are unique to the Bde of Guards..........

Comment

Working...
                              X