Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, as far as I know, with various different 'accoutrements' to distinguish Regiments.
    RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

I think the grey ones are quite nice, different. The old NS ones, the short ones were classy, I had an army one up to quite recently and it was rubbish, fit wasn't bad but a waste of time.
      Given the little amount of time spent in SD no 1s these days Great coats should be a thing of the past. I think its time the Uniform had a revamp any way get away from the shirt and tie image.
      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
        or maybe its the fact the British Soldiers have a more appropriate and greater variety of uniform than our Irish counterparts
        Probably because we didn't feel the need to invade and occupy so many countries around the world with a variety of different climates.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
          Probably because we didn't feel the need to invade and occupy so many countries around the world with a variety of different climates.
          it has it's perks
          RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

nah we just infiltrate under the cloak of secrecy called recession and emigration, hence the purity of the Brtish armed forces thinned out with Paddies for at leasts the last 200 years!So much so they had to give us credit for entire regiments
            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

with only two Irish remaining in the British Army - i really hope they endure the next SDSR otherwise we will still have plenty of Irishmen among the ranks but without a collective Irish identity.
              RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

As long as there a NI under UK rule, there will be an Irish Regiment in the BA. Indeed, there are still "Irish" units in the US army, so the Irish identity should remain.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

RIR was a sop the unionists and there uda. It will go, soon as the latest bottleneck in the north is sorted

Comment

or maybe its the fact the British Soldiers have a more appropriate and greater variety of uniform than our Irish counterparts
                    Army is not part of our tourist industry

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                      As long as there a NI under UK rule...
                      'an' Irish regiment will be better than none, but it is a shame to see the demise of the old Irish regiments of the British Army such as the:

Royal Irish Rifles
                      Royal Dublin Fusiliers
                      Connaught Rangers
                      Leinster Regiment
                      Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers
                      Royal Irish Fusiliers
                      Royal Munster Fusiliers
                      Royal Irish Dragoon Guards
                      King's Royal Irish Hussars
                      Liverpool Irish
                      London Irish Rifles
                      Queen's Royal Irish Hussars
                      Royal Irish Artillery
                      Royal Irish Lancers
                      Royal Irish Rangers
                      Tyneside Irish Brigade
                      London (Irish)

many of the above had many battalions.
                      Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 22 December 2013, 21:30.
                      RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

You forgot the South Irish Horse (I used to know a chap who served through WW1 in it...)
                        'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
                        'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
                        Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
                        He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
                        http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

'an' Irish regiment will be better than none, but it is a shame to see the demise of the old Irish regiments of the British Army such as the:

Royal Irish Rifles
                          Royal Dublin Fusiliers
                          Connaught Rangers
                          Leinster Regiment
                          Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers
                          Royal Irish Fusiliers
                          Royal Munster Fusiliers
                          Royal Irish Dragoon Guards
                          King's Royal Irish Hussars
                          Liverpool Irish
                          London Irish Rifles
                          Queen's Royal Irish Hussars
                          Royal Irish Artillery
                          Royal Irish Lancers
                          Royal Irish Rangers
                          Tyneside Irish Brigade
                          London (Irish)

many of the above had many battalions.
                          Ya, pity that the Irish wanted to rule themselves and that units had to be disbanded after that. Very inconsiderate of the Irish to take their country back.

Personally, I don't think there should be an Irish Regt in the BA, maybe a NI Regt. I mean there are no French Regts so why an Irish one

Comment

The Micks?

Comment

While not a unit, there was an Irishmen platoon in 16th Bn kings royal rifles that fought in the Somme. The Bn was known as the church lads regt. (During family research I found a direct relative who fought and died with the KRR 16Bn)

There are fantastic forums out there tracing the units and men

Comment

Originally posted by midnight oil View Post
                                ...Very inconsiderate of the Irish to take their country back.

Personally, I don't think there should be an Irish Regt in the BA, maybe a NI Regt. I mean there are no French Regts so why an Irish one
                                Pearse and his friends surrendered to the British - who later handed the country back, along with most barracks that ONH soldiers occupy today - it was never taken back.

Irish (only) nationals can join the British Army, French (only) nationals cannot - as a result there are currently hundreds of Irish serving in the British Army, but not hundreds of Frenchmen.

the Irish have earned and are worthy of their own regiments in the British Army.

you are of course entitled to your opinion.
                                RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Working...
                                X