Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=midnight oil;40616 I mean there are no French Regts so why an Irish one[/QUOTE]

So why a Gurkha one with 2 batts?

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
      Pearse and his friends surrendered to the British - who later handed the country back, along with most barracks that ONH soldiers occupy today - it was never taken back.

Irish (only) nationals can join the British Army, French (only) nationals cannot - as a result there are currently hundreds of Irish serving in the British Army, but not hundreds of Frenchmen.

the Irish have earned and are worthy of their own regiments in the British Army.

you are of course entitled to your opinion.
      Are you aware of the period in history after the execution of Pearse? Specifically 1919-1922. You might need to look it up.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

There is also an Irish coy in the London Regt.

BA battalions traditionally recruited their personnel from specific areas, the reason for the amount of Irish regiments was the amount of Irish joining

Comment

Pearse and his friends surrendered to the British - who later handed the country back, along with most barracks that ONH soldiers occupy today - it was never taken back.
          You REALLY REALLY have been brainwashed in your 20 odd years in the BA.

After they shot Pearse and the other signatories of the Proclamation of Independence public opinion changed and the appetite for Irish independence grew exponentially. As a result there was a War of Independence between 21 January 1919 and 11 June 1921 in which time an estimated 2014 people died.

As a result of this War there was a Treaty signed between the British and the Irish which established an Irish Free State. This in turn caused its own problems but that is a different story.

The result was that the Irish people took responsibility for the 26 counties ... i.e. The Irish took back the recruitment areas that the British had previously used for creating the Battalions and Regiments that you referred to.

Comment

Intending servicemen now had a choice.(still have)

Comment

Irish (only) nationals can join the British Army, French (only) nationals cannot - as a result there are currently hundreds of Irish serving in the British Army, but not hundreds of Frenchmen.

the Irish have earned and are worthy of their own regiments in the British Army.

you are of course entitled to your opinion.
              I'm surprised how quickly your future mates wimped out. Did somebody start a nasty rumor that the Germans were coming or something. Or was it just a case of the other side not playing fare, by not using Bows and Arrows

Comment

^^^What really surprises me is how the Irish Army have wimped out of every conflict since.

Why shouldn't there be Irish Regiments in the British Army...after all part of the Island of Ireland is British...

And that crap you posted about the Royal Irish being a sop to the UDA...have you been sniffing glue or do you just not think before you post?
                'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Comment

wimped out of what?

you got what was given when the British decided to hand it over - there was no defeat or victory for anyone due to the Truce which spared Ireland from further conflict and bloodshed.

many were no doubt glad to get rid of it.

and given that the British invaded and defeated Germany twice in the last century, and my 'future mates' and I went on to garrison and continue to occupy Germany for almost the last 70 years (just like we still occupy 6 counties of Ireland) - i'm pretty sure the Krauts weren't an issue.
                  Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 23 December 2013, 23:57.
                  RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Stop.

Comment

Originally posted by spider View Post
                      ^^^What really surprises me is how the Irish Army have wimped out of every conflict since.

Why shouldn't there be Irish Regiments in the British Army...after all part of the Island of Ireland is British...

And that crap you posted about the Royal Irish being a sop to the UDA...have you been sniffing glue or do you just not think before you post?

My mistake instead of UDA I should have typed UDR Now does it make sense to you.? It's set up was to disband the udr and not panic the Loyalist.
                      it will go soon due to a lack of friends in high places, money, and political nods and winks.
                      ps I do not have a problem with Irish regiments in the British Army. not sure were you get that from.?
                      Last edited by sofa; 24 December 2013, 00:42.

Comment

Originally posted by spider View Post

My mistake instead of UDA I should have typed UDR Now does it make sense to you.? It's set up was to disband the udr and not panic the Loyalist.
                        it will go soon due to a lack of friends in high places, money, and political nods and winks.
                        ps I do not have a problem with Irish regiments in the British Army.

Comment

wimped out of what?

you got what was given when the British decided to hand it over - there was no defeat or victory for anyone due to the Truce which spared Ireland from further conflict and bloodshed.

many were no doubt glad to get rid of it.

and given that the British invaded and defeated Germany twice in the last century, and my 'future mates' and I went on to garrison and continue to occupy Germany for almost the last 70 years (just like we still occupy 6 counties of Ireland) - i'm pretty sure the Krauts weren't an issue.
                          British defeated the Germans twice!! Now that would rise a snigger or two in a German Army mess. But give you your due, you did go back across when the Americans and Canadians turned up.

Comment

No...it was set up as part of the Defence Review of the early 90's...and was seen as a workable template for the Super-regiments created ten years later...The Rifles...Royal Regiment of Scotland etc.

My Brother transferred from 1 Royal Irish to 8 Royal Irish...that couldn't have happened under the previous Royal Irish Rangers / UDR arrangement.

The Depot was centralised at Ballymena...soldiers could and did move around within the regiment.

It made an awful lot of financial and military sense...and was seen as moving the UDR...essentially a militia...into the mainstream Army.

In fact after the Home Service Royal Irish Battalions were stood down many soldiers simply transferred to other regiments based in NI...a fair few to 2 Rifles in Ballykinler...who are BTW on the move...to Theipval Barracks in Lisburn.

Nothing to do with not panicking loyalists...since when has the British Government given a toss about loyalists!

I do agree with you...post SDSR 2015 The Regiment is toast...my money is on it being merged with the Royal Welsh and Royal Regiment of Fusiliers.

The 5th Skins and Queens Royal Irish Hussars were both amalgamated with 'English' regiments in the early 90's.

Apologies...out of sync...my comment about Irish Regiments was in response to #27...I guess I'm the twat who doesn't think before he posts lol
                            'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Comment

Biggest regiment in the British Army (and most deployed on ops)was the UDR / Royal Irish

What is the official name of 11th November again?

Comment

Working...
                              X