X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ministers to lay monument stone for Irish war dead

Ministers to lay monument stone for Irish war dead

Monday, March 31, 2014 - 07:43 AM

Irish and British government ministers will today jointly lay the foundation stone of a new monument in Dublin to commemorate soldiers from all over Ireland who lost their lives in the two world wars.

Northern Ireland Secretary Theresa Villiers will accompany the minister for Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht Jimmy Deenihan at the ceremony in Glasnevin Cemetery.

The monumental Cross of Sacrifice is being erected by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission, with support from the Irish government, to mark the centenary of the First World War.

It will commemorate the sacrifice of all Irish soldiers who lost their lives in both world wars.

Read more

Irish and British government ministers will today jointly lay the foundation stone of a new monument in Dublin to commemorate soldiers from all over Ireland who lost their lives in the two world wars.

Glad to see that all who made the ultimate sacrifice are being commemerated.

Should bring out a range of protesters.

Comment

Don't we already have one, at Islandbridge ?
      "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

RTFM

Islandbridge commemorates those 49000~ Irish men who died in ww1 only.

This new monument, is in recognition of ALL of those who served in the british army in both world wars.
        "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
        "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

No monument to those who served their country during The Emergency!

Comment

Fair point but its the british legion who are pushing this.

Where is the equivelant of the british legion for the defence forces to push a memorial to the emergency?

My grandfather has a medal for the emergency, merchant navy and he was on a ship that was sunk by a uboat.
            My grand uncle has four medals for landing in a horsa glider on DDay and getting mortared back out of the war.
            My great granduncle didnt make it back from the battle of the coronel as his ship was shelled out of existence HMS Monmouth

Im still waiting 3 years on a medal for putting up with DF bullsh*t for the last decade.

Not suggesting you have a problem with it, but going on the record that I've none.
            Last edited by morpheus; 31 March 2014, 17:08.
            "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
            "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

Islandbridge commemorates those 49000~ Irish men who died in ww1 only.
              No, it's for both wars. It was originally just WW1 but WW2 was added later. see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Me...rden_Cross.jpg

I used to live right beside it, B20 still does. One of the nice places in Dublin.
              "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

I may be corrected on this but in Island bridge while there is a cross I don't think there is a 'Sword of Sacrifice' on the cross.

Meanwhile please find attached an interesting teaching aid from CWGC. http://cwgc-virtual-cemetery.org/virtual-cemetery/

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                  No monument to those who served their country during The Emergency!
                  No there is not, nor is there any recognition of those who ultimately held the line during the recent terrorist decades. Instead we have the great unwashed bigots screaming for the Army to be disbanded because.......................Well, I won't even go there!

Comment

Originally posted by Battletour View Post
                    No there is not, nor is there any recognition of those who ultimately held the line during the recent terrorist decades. Instead we have the great unwashed bigots screaming for the Army to be disbanded because.......................Well, I won't even go there!
                    I was thinking more along the lines of... Instead we have a Minister who apologies to those who deserted their country

Comment

Working...
                    X