Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by sofa View Post
    Tail gunner RAF Bomber command
    Is that just him or is it all Tail gunners in the RAF. Maybe I am not the brightest but I still dont get what you mean

Comment

• Originally posted by apc View Post
      Is that just him or is it all Tail gunners in the RAF. Maybe I am not the brightest but I still dont get what you mean
      Only the ones that took part in the fire bombing of cities knowing well they are full of children,
      sofa
      Major General
      Last edited by sofa; 25 September 2016, 01:50.

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
        I just saw it in Cork, Cinema 3/4 full, to an appreciative crowd (frequent shouts of "French pricks!") and a round of applause when the credits rolled.

If I knew nothing about the army, or the story, it was an excellent action film. It told the bones of the story well. Irish Army sent to the Congo by UN in what was really a PR stunt by cruiser. Irish Unit sent somewhere they were not needed nor wanted. Attached by better armed militia but held their ground thanks to the actions of its officers and NCOs, and of course its young inexperienced privates. No support came from HQ, nor UN.
        But the thing that did bother me about the film was the Depiction of Mdme Lamonfagne. Contrary to the film not only did she provide her phone for military use, she also provided mediation service, and her home became part of the HQ. The total absence of the Owner of the Purfina garage is also a huge gap, as it was him who initially warned Comdt Quinlan of the presence and activities of militia.Swedish Army interpreter Lars Froberg, should also have been portrayed in some manner, as he was in Jadotville throughout.
        Baldonnel looked far sunnier than usual also

But it was a good movie,
        and it was nice to hear an audience of Irish civvies
        applaud the depiction of the actions of the Irish Defence force on the big screen.
        Was that on Thursday ? I was there too and I'd say there were quite a few ex-DF people there by the sound of things !

Comment

• No, I was there yesterday.
          For now, everything hangs on the CoDF report, which is published, but after discussion with parties in government will probably commence being implemented in May or June.

Comment

In the film, the unit were using a mixture of 303s and FNs,??? was this the case.

( Know they used 303s with a scope up to the 70s for sniping)
            I'm not so sure. There is a photo in Rose Doyle's book of the Q carrying a number of 303s, but there is also a complaint from Comdt Quinlan that after their release, they were equipped mostly with 303s instead of the FN they were by then used to.
            Great to see the gustaf and handbag get such a starring role.
            For now, everything hangs on the CoDF report, which is published, but after discussion with parties in government will probably commence being implemented in May or June.

Comment

Only the ones that took part in the fire bombing of cities knowing well they are full of children,
              I think see where you are coming from now, regardless of all the other combatants in all the other wars in which civilians and babies were killed, its really the fact that he was an Irish man in the RAF by which any Irish man that served in the RAF you also call baby killers.

Comment

I think see where you are coming from now, regardless of all the other combatants in all the other wars in which civilians and babies were killed, its really the fact that he was an Irish man in the RAF by which any Irish man that served in the RAF you also call baby killers.
                "Paddy" Finucane is one of my heroes

I'm really just slinging this view at O'Shannon the drunken f£$k, because of his dismissive remark on national TV of the men of A company.

Comment

• A friend of a former girlfriend of mine was O'Shannon's squeeze for quite a while. He dumped her in quite a cruel fashion when she became ill, allegedly. Took the shine off him, for me, at any rate.

Comment

• MOD: Personal comments regarding O'Shannon detracts from the main content of this thread. If you want to insult him set up another thread for this.

Comment

"Paddy" Finucane is one of my heroes

I'm really just slinging this view at O'Shannon the drunken f£$k, because of his dismissive remark on national TV of the men of A company.
                      Ok I see where you are coming from but as regard baby killer he served with the RAF near the end of the war and then only in Burma and saw little or no combat, he wrote articles for the air force newspaper where he got his taste for journalism.

I looked for that interview to see the context of the insult but counldnt find it. If you have a link you might post it

Comment

• Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
                        A friend of a former girlfriend of mine was O'Shannon's squeeze for quite a while. He dumped her in quite a cruel fashion when she became ill, allegedly. Took the shine off him, for me, at any rate.
                        Although he was married and remained so until his wife died in 2006 he was by his own admission a serial womaniser so he probably wouldnt have stuck it out anyway, not that thats any excuse

Comment

Ok I see where you are coming from but as regard baby killer he served with the RAF near the end of the war and then only in Burma and saw little or no combat, he wrote articles for the air force newspaper where he got his taste for journalism.

I looked for that interview to see the context of the insult but counldnt find it. If you have a link you might post it
                          I have being rooting for it, no luck so far.

Comment

• mod: final warning, no more discussion on cathal o'shannon on this thread. Points have been awarded, suspension will follow repeat offence

Comment

• Something I discovered last night on iTunes. There is an RTE Documentary on One podcast, which has a load of RTE radio documentaries. No 76, 23 Jan 2015 is 'The Siege of Jadtoville" interviewing the survivors. I was listening to it this morning before work, it's very well done. I've about 20 minutes left to listen to, it says it is 21 minutes long, but it is actually about 45 minutes long.
                              Flamingo
                              Hostage
                              Last edited by Flamingo; 26 September 2016, 21:10.
                              'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
                              'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
                              Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
                              He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
                              http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Bravo20 View Post
                                MOD: Personal comments regarding O'Shannon detracts from the main content of this thread. If you want to insult him set up another thread for this.
                                I have received 2 infractions for the above posts

"Dear apc,

You have received an infraction at IMO Discussion Board.

Reason: Ignored Moderator Warning
                                -------
                                Posters were instructed not to continue the discussion on Cathal O'Shannon on the Jadotville thread. Instructions were ignored, points and warning issued, suspension will follow a repeat offence.
                                -------

This infraction is worth 2 point(s) and may result in restricted access until it expires. Serious infractions will never expire."

The initial warning in red did not say not to post, it said if I wanted to insult him then set up another thread. As you may see I have not insulted the man and my comments were not personal,therefore I think the infractions should be withdrawn.
                                apc
                                Sergeant Major
                                Last edited by apc; 26 September 2016, 21:21.

Comment

Working...
                                X