No announcement yet.

jadotVille

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Just saw the film. Very well done apart from a few Hollywood moments. Baldonnel never looked so good :-).

Comment

• Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
        Just saw the film. Very well done apart from a few Hollywood moments. Baldonnel never looked so good :-).
        Where the hell was that anyway, somewhere in South Africa?
        "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
        Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
        Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

• Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
          Something I discovered last night on iTunes. There is an RTE Documentary on One podcast, which has a load of RTE radio documentaries. No 76, 23 Jan 2015 is 'The Siege of Jadtoville" interviewing the survivors. I was listening to it this morning before work, it's very well done. I've about 20 minutes left to listen to, it says it is 21 minutes long, but it is actually about 45 minutes long.
          This is also well worth watching.
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aGtK07bTwA (Episode 1 starts here).
          For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• yes.

Comment

• The Army and the DoD declined to listen to the advice of WW2 veterans, including Irishmen, who had served in hot climates and knew what lay ahead. Instead, men like Quinlan took advice from Irish nuns and missionaries that they met there, who had their own intelligence network.

Comment

The Army and the DoD declined to listen to the advice of WW2 veterans, including Irishmen, who had served in hot climates and knew what lay ahead. Instead, men like Quinlan took advice from Irish nuns and missionaries that they met there, who had their own intelligence network.
                A recently deceased relative of the wife was a Nun in the Congo at the time. They had freedom to travel wherever they wished within the war zone. They took full advantage of this, making use of a swimming pool within the confines of a residence which had been evacuated due to its proximity to regular shelling.
                The Nuns knew they would not be interrupted by any while taking a dip. They decided that an empty building is no longer a target, and none of the natives wanted to see nuns in the nip.
                She will be missed.
                For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

The Army and the DoD declined to listen to the advice of WW2 veterans, including Irishmen, who had served in hot climates and knew what lay ahead. Instead, men like Quinlan took advice from Irish nuns and missionaries that they met there, who had their own intelligence network.
                  And Ham Radios

Comment

• Excellent movie and not a mention of Cathal O'Shannon

Comment

• didn't have to. It already had enough villains!

Comment

• MOD: OK, All of you who have continued to post or refer to Cathal O'Shannon after you were told not to have now been awarded points. The next post will receive a straight ban.

Comment

Something I discovered last night on iTunes. There is an RTE Documentary on One podcast, which has a load of RTE radio documentaries. No 76, 23 Jan 2015 is 'The Siege of Jadtoville" interviewing the survivors. I was listening to it this morning before work, it's very well done. I've about 20 minutes left to listen to, it says it is 21 minutes long, but it is actually about 45 minutes long.
                          In this programme is there any reporters being interviewed

Comment

• Originally posted by apc View Post
                            In this programme is there any reporters being interviewed
                            I don't think so. A two officers and three OR's, from memory.
                            'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
                            'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
                            Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
                            He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
                            http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

• :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIaORknS1Dk

Comment

I don't think so. A two officers and three OR's, from memory.
                                Just watched it excellent programme and not a reporter in sight

Comment

Working...
                                X