idle speculation:Korea.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• idle speculation:Korea.

Things have got way to serious around here, so I'm going to unleash a "might have been".
    Suppose we had joined the UN a few years earlier, ie, before Korea, would we have gone? Now today we have probably the finest light infantry force in the world, but I have few illusions(if any) about the post war DF, although it was a bit bigger then present day, however , remember we were only in the UN a wet day when we went to the Congo, and finally took our place in the modern world.
    So would we have gone? what would we have brought to the party? Would we have made a difference? How would it have effected future development?
    While we are at it, it's statisticaly possible that "Irish" in some form were there, anyone heard any stories?
    It's idle speculation, so speculate!
    "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
    Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Plenty Irish there in many uniforms!

Comment

Originally posted by Battletour View Post
      http://www.amazon.com/New-Battlefiel.../dp/1907677194

Plenty Irish there in many uniforms!
      Now on my "to get" list.
      "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
      Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
      Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Given the potential for very high casualty rates (the link from Batletour gives an example of 157 casualties in 24 hours in one battalion), how would a nation unused to that have reacted? The UK still had the memory of WW2 only five years earlier, so had the cultural acceptance and coping mechanisms in place (not to mention a larger population to spread it over), Ireland had to go back to WW1 for that kind of butchers bill along with a population where everybody knows everybody's cousin.

Would it have resulted in pride, or revulsion, or something else? A public and political acceptance for Ireland to join NATO after fighting alongside the major Wesern nations, or a demand to withdraw from the UN and not get involved in any more overseas adventures? Buggered if I know!

Regarding Irish being there, I remember being in a chaps house in Ballina about thirty years ago, and he had an official plaque on the wall commemorating his service in the U.S. Army in Korea. Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to quiz him about it.
        Last edited by Flamingo; 17 April 2016, 02:26.
        'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
        'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
        Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
        He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
        http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

I should of course have also mentioned that Irish KIA in Korea are remembered in the Mayo Peace Park. Also I had an uncle in the USAF who survived.

Comment

In fact four Mayo soldiers were KIA in Korea in US uniform.

The Glorious Glosters lost possible up to 800 men (not an accurate figure). On their return to Blighty they marched from Portsmouth to London to receive decorations. The CO was Col Kerins (sp)VC and the Sgt Maj was Bill Speakman VC. One of the officers had a Nenagh connection. The played their regimental march as they proceeded. The wonderful title of this march was 'The Kinnegad Slashers'. A report of this was printed in the times of London on the 50th anniversary in 2004+/-.

Comment

Royal Ulster Rifles had a battle honour from Imjin River.

Comment

Given that the likes of Ethiopia managed to contribute troops to the U.N. forces, I'd say we'd have to have made some effort.
                "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

Originally posted by Turkey View Post
                  So would we have gone?
                  possibly
                  what would we have brought to the party?
                  men (not enough and not well equipped), so really just future casualties
                  Would we have made a difference?
                  not unless we found a fully equipped Irish Corps from somewhere
                  How would it have effected future development?
                  IMHO we would have firmly been in the neutral camp

Look up the "Twenty Century Battlefield" with John Snow on YouTube, they did an episode on Korea

Comment

Working...
                  X