• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Museum in appeal for military paraphernalia

Museum in appeal for military paraphernalia
    March 4, 2004

http://www.rte.ie/news/2004/0304/museum.html#ram

-->Watch the RTE News Report Here<--

A national appeal was launched this afternoon for people with historical military items to donate them to a major new exhibition that opens next year.

Construction work is due to begin soon at the National Museum on a €9m exhibition that will be known as ‘The Irish at War.’

Collins Barracks in Dublin has three centuries of military tradition behind it. The exhibition will tell the stories of Irish soldiers, their families, and how Irish civilians were affected by war over the past 500 years - from the Elizabethan era to UN service in Lebanon.

The museum says it already has an outstanding collection of Irish martial heritage but they are seeking donations to make it even better.

A Guide to Irish Military Heritage was published this afternoon to help people research the military service of family members. It will help people to locate records, buildings and memorials throughout the country.

The Minister for Arts, Sport and Tourism, John O'Donoghue, said the two announcements involve the Military Heritage of Irish Trust, an all-Ireland body, whose work encompasses all communities regardless of political or religious beliefs.

This page : http://www.rte.ie/news/2004/0304/museum.html[
    "Dwight D. Eisenhower: The best morale exists when you never hear the word mentioned. When you hear it it's usually lousy.

This is great, if long overdue news. How much of existing DF collections will be moved/loaned to this collection?

Comment

I have often visited the Imperial War Museum and the Regimental museums in Edinburgh Castle and often tought it a national shame that we in ireland did not have a National Military Museum to celebrate the tradition of the "Fighting Irish".
      Bravo to all those involved and I will be one of the first to be in line when the museum opens, hopefully there will be cooperation between this new museum and the small musems in the Barracks throughout the country, as a combined effort in a central location I believe there would be much to see.
      Also the localtion of Colins Barracks is an ideal location!!!
      "Dwight D. Eisenhower: The best morale exists when you never hear the word mentioned. When you hear it it's usually lousy.

Comment

How much of existing DF collections will be moved/loaned to this collection?

Absolutely none if the custodians have any sense. The return spring tends to break on anything lent to these places.
        sigpic
        Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
        My favourite moment was when the
        red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

The amount of articles that the National museum hold in storage is frightening,and most of it is not stored appropriately.
          For example the blood stained hat of James Connolly was held many years ago in Kildare st Museum,but last time i asked it was in storage as the blood had started to .....degrade...

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Just wondering if it is possible to arrange a visit to the Military Museum in Collins Barracks, Cork? Alot of the members in my centre have expressed an interest in visiting it. So im just wondering if its possible, and if so how do you go about arranging it?

I hope im not off thread to much
            Assurance is credable and to be credable you'v got to show you can do it!!

Comment

It is possible to Visit,I Believe Comdt Dan Harvey is the man to get in touch with.(Chain of command etc) However its not open to the General public.

Comment

How would you get in touch with him? It would only be RDF members we would be bringing anyone.

Thanks.

Comment

Chain of command.

Comment

Sorry now I get you - STUPID ME!!

Comment

Not open to the public !!! What a fookin' disgrace !!! They paid for it after all. Are you sure this is correct? Perhaps it is open to public by appointment.

Later.
                      No-one, I think, is in my tree...

Comment

Insurance, litigation, compensation, Insuramce ,Litigation, compensation etc.etc.etc

Comment

i have medals issued to a corkman in ww1 by the r.n.

Comment

Not open to the public !!! What a fookin' disgrace !!! They paid for it after all. Are you sure this is correct? Perhaps it is open to public by appointment.

Its in the middle of an army barracks so obviously nobody can just walk in off the street for a look. So prospective viewers must get permission from the Barrack OC.
                            sigpic
                            Say NO to violence against Women

My favourite moment was when the
                            red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

Working...
                            X