No announcement yet.

What bits do you have?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why would they drop a priest behind enemy lines to give anything to the troops?? If you are behind enemy lines you would be dealing with the enemy troops!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ex-soldier
      Why would they drop a priest behind enemy lines to give anything to the troops?? If you are behind enemy lines you would be dealing with the enemy troops!!

How does this relate to bits of old kit?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish
        How does this relate to bits of old kit?
        http://www.irishmilitaryonline.com/b...4&postcount=22

Comment

Originally posted by DeV
          Its a buttom stick, when tunic buttons had to be polished it was put between the botton and the cloth to protect the cloth/make polishing easier.
          Yeah they're quite rare. My dad first signed up in the late 50s with the FCA. I think he still has his *original* bulls wool jacket back home somewhere, though I doubt it fits him any more He had all his brass stuff as well. Actually, I think my brother went out of his way to make sure that he has all brass too. The first thing he did when he got issued new kit was to rip of the stay bright stuff. According to him it's worth it, and there's been many a time doing a guard of honor that a general has stopped to complement him on it.

Funnily enough, it was he who stole my dad's original one. My dad hid it after he cashed in his chips in '89 and I stupidly showed my older bro where it was. Dad didn't say anything, but I could tell he was a bit disappointed!
          Meh.

Comment

Hi there
            In my old collection I had: 7.62(x51 and x39), .303, 9mm, 5.56, .38, .45, 12.7 rounds and cartridges(fired), an 84mm aluminium cartridge, various bandoliers, clips, 38-pattern webbing; a Palestine Police badge (sadly lost) and a .45 lead round fired by the previous owner of the badge; manuals for the Hispano 20mm cannon in the Air Corps Spitfire, for the Merlin 66 in same, for the DH Chipmunk, for the Bristol Pegasus engine, for the BAP. All of the above are now sold/lost in various moves/given away/stolen from me. Times I wish I had 'em again, because they do act as a chronicle of one's service. Right now, the only physical legacy of my service that I have is an old combat jacket. Time to go on the scrounge, I think..
            regards
            GttC

Comment

get there before the legacy is gone...
              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Stameen soldier,
                If its the black and tan medal around 44mm wide it's worth about €350 to €400.
                Check out

"apparently its a "grotesque" example of the art of medal designing" maybe so but for 350 yoyos happy days.:-)

My top 3 would be:
                Black and Tan medal as above
                LDF medal
                60 mm mortar Illum shell.
                Hour by hour resolve firmly, like a Roman and a man, to do what comes to hand with correct and natural dignity, and with humanity, independence, and justice. Allow your mind freedom from all other considerations. :wink:
                - Marcus Aurelius-Roman Emperor A.D. 121-180

Comment

The one I have at home has the "Comrac" bar and the ribbon is a bit different and in need of repair.

edit: these are photos from the link gunmoney put up
                  Last edited by Steamy Window; 9 September 2005, 19:41.
                  "Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here...this is the War Room!"

Comment

Even better still.
                    Quote from http://www.irishmedals.com/1921.html

On 21st January 1941, the Irish Government announced the creation of a medal for those who tool part in the War of Independence. In bronze and an unwieldy 41mm in diameter, it was issued without 'Comrac' bar to those who were not deemed to have been on active service during the War of Independence, but who were members of the old-Irish Republican Army, the Irish Citizens Army, Fianna Eireann and the Cumann na mBann, which was the women's branch of the Old-IRA. Men with actual active and armed service such as the famous flying column's were issued with this medal with the additional 'Comrac' bar. Both versions are also known as the 'Black and Tan' medal or Irish War of Independence service medal.
                    Hour by hour resolve firmly, like a Roman and a man, to do what comes to hand with correct and natural dignity, and with humanity, independence, and justice. Allow your mind freedom from all other considerations. :wink:
                    - Marcus Aurelius-Roman Emperor A.D. 121-180

Comment

I have a US vietnam era ribon bar, and an aussie cap badge from around the same time.
                      Blog

WHAT FLIES DIES

Comment

On 21st January 1941, the Irish Government announced the creation of a medal for those who tool part in the War of Independence
                        Military Archives have been moving the initial applications for these medals to another location, each application contains details of service and any action, they all had to be verified and there were thousands and thousands of boxes pf applications.

The lads in MA have been at this for the lasr 2 weeks

just thought i would share that nugget of information to brigthen up an otherwise dull saturday
                        Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                        Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                        The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                        The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                        The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                        Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Irish ww2 infantry cap badge, U.S. gunship piolets wings, bronze star, 2 ww1 royal navy service medals, 2 40mm bofors shells.
                          Last edited by Kieran; 14 September 2005, 13:44.

Comment

I have a bayonet. I don't know any details about it.
                            "Gulle Mears 1872" is ingraved on it
                            Would anyone know anything about this type of bayonet?
                            Attached Files
                            Hard Work pays off later, laziness pays off now.

Comment

Piece of a German 152mm shore battery from Normandy, a Palestine Police badge (curiously enough Canner!) and a Wehrmacht forage cap picked up in Italy.
                              "Never believe anything in politics until it has been officially denied."

Otto Von Bismark

Comment

Working...
                              X