Cork Harbour Tragedy 1942

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cork Harbour Tragedy 1942

Im doing a project on the cork harbour tragedy for school and i was wondering if anybody knew where i could get a book on the matter?

Cheers

I was reading about it recently(I assume you are referring to the loss of a boarding boat and its crew), I wish I could remember what I was reading.
    Have you inquired in the museum in Cobh?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Read Tom Mc Ginty's the Irish Navy...and the Long Watch by frank Forde...both deal with it.
      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

I havent checked out the museum yet but ill go down within the next few days.
        It just so happens my dad has the long watch.
        Thanks for the replies

Comment

If anybodys interested in the topic I can post up a piece I wrote about the tragedy

Comment

Sure why not. Its the relevant section.

Comment

Read Tom Mc Ginty's the Irish Navy...and the Long Watch by frank Forde...both deal with it.
              Read the Oxford Guide to English Grammer and Usage, it deals with the use of the ellipsis.
              Last edited by eelmonster; 18 January 2006, 20:49.
              Cannon to right of them,
              Cannon to left of them,
              Cannon in front of them
              Volley'd and thunder'd;
              Storm'd at with shot and shell,
              Boldly they rode and well,
              Into the jaws of Death,
              Into the mouth of Hell
              Rode the six hundred.

Comment

Originally posted by eelmonster
                Read the Oxford Guide to English to Grammer and Usage, it deals with the use of the ellipsis.
                Read the IMO rules about keeping on topic and not abusing other board members.

Comment

If anybodys interested in the topic I can post up a piece I wrote about the tragedy
                  I'd like to read what you've written. Have you checked the archives of the local and national papers? I'd imagine UCC have them all on micro film.

Read the IMO rules about keeping on topic and not abusing other board members.
                  Come on Goldie, some of his posts look like they've come through an enigma machine - and he called me a muppet first.
                  Cannon to right of them,
                  Cannon to left of them,
                  Cannon in front of them
                  Volley'd and thunder'd;
                  Into the jaws of Death,
                  Into the mouth of Hell
                  Rode the six hundred.

Comment

Muppet is a term of endearment to some IMO users...He didn't call you names in this thread...you started it.

We already have grammar police employed here. He gets very upset when other people do his job.

While you are at it, have a read of the rules for throwing of rocks for people in glasshouses.

Comment

that was a typo, he consistently misuses the ellipsis - it's a pet hate of mine.
                      Cannon to right of them,
                      Cannon to left of them,
                      Cannon in front of them
                      Volley'd and thunder'd;
                      Into the jaws of Death,
                      Into the mouth of Hell
                      Rode the six hundred.

Comment

Its ok...I don't mind being slagged of by somebody who has posted nothing of relevance or news worthy since joining the board......muppet
                        Last edited by hptmurphy; 14 January 2006, 17:49.
                        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

how very dare you, i happen to think my post on irish cricket to be poignant and informative. I'm sorry htpmurphy, I was excessively rude, it's just i bare an uncanny resemblance to a slim fozzie bear - you touched a nerve.

We already have grammar police employed here. He gets very upset when other people do his job.
                          And he has been doing his job? Your/you're; its/it's; the use of 'of' instead of 'have' and so on. These are frequent howlers.

To get back on topic, sort of, did the coastwatching service - whose members were the victims of this tragic accident in cork - have the same insignia as the current naval service?
                          Cannon to right of them,
                          Cannon to left of them,
                          Cannon in front of them
                          Volley'd and thunder'd;
                          Into the jaws of Death,
                          Into the mouth of Hell
                          Rode the six hundred.

Comment

Working...
                          X