Clear All

sad or what

i posted a replay to this and it hasent appeared
    am not alowed to share

Comment

Originally posted by Sargents 3 View Post
      i posted a replay to this and it hasent appeared
      am not alowed to share
      You are indeed allowed to share, however it can take a little while before posts appear as we have a system in place where new users have their posts approved prior to tehm being published. This is to avoid any spam posts appearing on the forum as has happened in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by Sargents 3 View Post
        the linenhall was in the liberties.
        Details as above. See here: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...03449&t=h&z=18 it even says "Linenhall Parade". Presumably there was more than one Linen Hall.

Your picture "It says nurses home its still there now HQ OF THE Naval service" - I understand this has been demolished for the new Courts Service building.
        Last edited by Victor; 10 September 2009, 20:17.
        Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead

Comment

nurses home

hi
          i havent been In army HQ for a few years if that is so
          whats new we seam to delight in destroying our past
          i must drop in next week

Comment

verse from boar war ballid

Hand me down me petticoat
            Hand me down me shawl
            Hand me down me bubonnet
            For I'm of to the Linen Hall

I think this is were abandoned soldiers ladies may have gone for a hand out
            I am wondering has it a connection to your Linnen hall

Comment

Originally posted by Turncoat View Post
              Hi

I was just wondering where would I find information on the various Barracks in Dublin.
              In particular the ones relating to the Irish regiments like the Iniskillings and RIR.
              I know Cathal Bruagh (Then portobello) was home to both the Royal Irish regiment and Iniskillings but were other barracks manned by Irish troops?

Ive tried googling it but can only find rough information. Not much about the actual units or dates etc.
              The RIR s home barricks is clonmel ther is a very nice memorial there up to ww1
              The skins home is and alwas was ineskillen
              portobello was not a depot till the IDF took over in 22 .
              a long number of unets were there
              I will dig it out if you are interested

Comment

Originally posted by Victor View Post
                Details as above. See here: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...03449&t=h&z=18 it even says "Linenhall Parade". Presumably there was more than one Linen Hall.

Your picture "It says nurses home its still there now HQ OF THE Naval service" - I understand this has been demolished for the new Courts Service building.
                Just found this it was there till 1915

Comment

Originally posted by Victor View Post
                  Linenhall is the area west of Bolton Street.

The barracks would appear to have been rather small - between North King Street, Coleraine Street and Lisburn Street according to page 316 here: http://books.google.ie/books?id=X1fW...sult#PPA316,M1

It appears it was taken over in 1925. http://books.google.ie/books?id=o8Vs...um=7&ct=result

I wonder if the houses on Lisburn Street were part of it. Page 67: http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=...cl=1&encType=1

Photo after 1916 Rising http://www.southdublinimages.ie/sear...n.aspx?id=3569

It appears to have had marrierd quaters and was at some time occupied by pay clerks and possibly had warehouses.
                  with out being a bore you trigered somethinfg in my mind. sorry i can get lik a dog with a bone.
                  you are bang on i thine the garda fins office on the corner is the one that we are talking about

Comment

Just looked at my 1837 os map od f dublin
                    i leard some thing new every day
                    thats it the old gard fines office
                    its a totaly new one on me
                    The Ordnance survay barracks was Mountjoy barracks
                    and Clancy was the artillery barracks i will ammend my list
                    QS

Comment

Linenhall Barracks was originally Dublin's White Linen Hall. It opened in 1728 and
                      was the centre of Ireland's linen trade with England. This was prior to to the
                      construction of Belfast's famed linen hall and northern traders frequented the
                      Dublin "market" to the extent that the neighbouring streets were named after
                      northern towns, Coleraine, Lisburn and Lurgan. After the constuction of the
                      Belfast linen hall, trade through Dublin went into decline and the Linen Hall closed
                      in 1828 and fell into disrepair. It was taken over by the British army in the 1880's
                      as a barracks and was home to the Royal Dublin Fusiliers. By 1916, it was an
                      administrative post, home only to army clerks. The building was on a 3-acre
                      site, was three stories high and contained in excess of 550 rooms. During
                      the Easter Rising of 1916, the Linenhall Barracks was taken over by rebel
                      forces under the command of Commandant Edward Daly and set alight. Heavy
                      fighting ensued on Nth King Street and the Linen Hall was destroyed by fire.
                      What was left was demolished.

I have attached links to two pics. The first shows a 1700's artist impression
                      of the original building. The second is a photograph, taken from the top of
                      Lurgan St., after the Rising. Coleraine St., Lisburn St. and Lurgan St. lead up
                      from Nth King St. directly to where the facade of the original building was.
                      Housing was built on the site of the Linen Hall/Linenhall Barracks in 1926,
                      encompassing Linenhall Terrace and Linenhall Place.

In response to previous posts, The Linenhall Barracks was not small, it was a
                      very large building. It was not in the Liberties, which is an area behind Francis
                      St. on the other side of the city centre (sth side). And it did not incorporate
                      surrounding housing.

Fiirst pic, artist rendition of original structure:

Second pic, view from top of Lurgan St. after the Rising

Hope that helps...

Comment

Originally posted by Steamy Window View Post
                        i have to own up - when i was 15 me and my mates climbed the fence, crossed the motes and stole most of the lightning conductors and loads of lead and other metal from the Magazine Fort.

we didn't even get any money for it - some plain clothed Garda detectives intercepted our wheelbarrow in Stoneybatter and loaded the lot into their Hillman Avenger before we could reach the scrapyard.

however i've served 21 years of my 22 year sentence in debt to the British Army for that so i think we are quits now, but i do regret defacing such an amazing building.

sorry.
                        RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Its unclear who had this as a barracks, probably the militia of the time.

Some additional information amd photos. It was used in 1916.

--------------------------------------------------------------

More general piece: http://www.jstor.org/stable/30104347?cookieSet=1
                          Last edited by Victor; 15 July 2010, 20:47.
                          Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
                            i have to own up - when i was 15 me and my mates climbed the fence, crossed the motes and stole most of the lightning conductors and loads of lead and other metal from the Magazine Fort.

we didn't even get any money for it - some plain clothed Garda detectives intercepted our wheelbarrow in Stoneybatter and loaded the lot into their Hillman Avenger before we could reach the scrapyard.

however i've served 21 years of my 22 year sentence in debt to the British Army for that so i think we are quits now, but i do regret defacing such an amazing building.

sorry.
                            I would say it was straight down to Mullins with that boot full of lead

Comment

Originally posted by sofa View Post
                              I would say it was straight down to Mullins with that boot full of lead
                              Plain clothes garda driving a hillman avenger in 1987. Ahem

Comment

Originally posted by paul g View Post
                                Plain clothes garda driving a hillman avenger in 1987. Ahem
                                Ya, I think the Hillmans were the1970s?

Comment

Working...
                                X