X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Victor
    replied
    Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
    I have added a few Photos of Bere Island to the gallery.

http://gallery.irishmilitaryonline.c...g2_itemId=2909

A lot more to it if you have the time to wander around the Island.
    Where was the Bere Haven anchorage, between the island and the mainland?

Leave a comment:

• golden rivet
    replied
    L70 bofors
    any pictures of them or are they just ones that were picked up cheaply

Leave a comment:

• Test Pilot
    replied
    Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
    Hi
    Are they in Gib,too?
    regards
    GttC
    No, in Liverpool, and are there for the taking, for anyone who wants them. I'm hoping 'The Spike Island' restoration might have an interest.

Leave a comment:

• Goldie fish
    replied
    L70 bofors

Leave a comment:

• golden rivet
    replied
    Hammond lane in Cork, when they were situated in Blackpool, had a Naval 4 inch gun at their main entrance. I often wonder where it ended up. The Naval service has mounted all the L60 Bofors it took from the PVs at different locations around the base.
    :confused: what weapons have the PVs now,,

Leave a comment:

• Goldie fish
    replied
    Hammond lane in Cork, when they were situated in Blackpool, had a Naval 4 inch gun at their main entrance. I often wonder where it ended up. The Naval service has mounted all the L60 Bofors it took from the PVs at different locations around the base.

Leave a comment:

• GoneToTheCanner
    replied
    Hi
    Are they in Gib,too?
    regards
    GttC

Leave a comment:

• Test Pilot
    replied
    Found on scrap heap !

Check this out! Both of these guns were found on the scrap heap.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Test Pilot
    replied
    Gib?
    Spot on! Goldie.

Leave a comment:

• Goldie fish
    replied
    Gib?

Leave a comment:

• Test Pilot
    replied
    This 9.2 battery is not quite in West Cork. Anyone like to guess?
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Test Pilot
    replied
    I have added a few Photos of Bere Island to the gallery.

http://gallery.irishmilitaryonline.c...g2_itemId=2909

A lot more to it if you have the time to wander around the Island.
    Nice pic's of the Island, Goldie. Interesting to see that the Martello Tower has been restored. There were originally four towers built on the island, to give full visual coverage, each with their own redoubts nearby. Only two remain. The others were demolished when the Lonehort (east end) and Derrycreeveen (western side) batteries were built. The signal tower mentioned was struck by lightening and only the ruins remain. I do recall seeing the names of some of the garrison carved in the remaining stones, dated around the late 1800's. A super place!

Leave a comment:

• ZULU
    replied
    Hi Test Pilot,

I knew it was a Brennan Torpedo and how it worked, I just wasn't to sure on the launching of it. The rail is all gone, the only thing left is a few concrete pillars/mounts seen at low tide. The only thing is though, the track points towards the middle of spike Isl. I would have thought they would have put it more on the east side.

Didn't know about the anti-sub net though. Must look into it. Cheers

Leave a comment:

• GoneToTheCanner
    replied
    Hi there
    When my FCA unit went on camp there in 1981, we were told that the boom was discarded into the harbour after WW 1.
    regards
    GttC

Leave a comment:

• Test Pilot
    replied
    Originally posted by ZULU View Post
    Open to correction on this, but in the first photo, on the right hand side, there used to be a slip way with rails running down into the water. Might have been for the launching cart. But the slip faced to the west of Spike so A) the tracks and slip weren't for the torpedo or B) it was still very much in the concept/design/testing phase
    Hi Zulu, The torpedo mentioned was a 'Brennan Torpedo', which was developed in the late 1800's. It was controlled or steered by wires from the shore. It was located in the building to the right of your picture, about a hundred yards or so. I recall the work shop and part of a single rail and iron posts which ran directly into the sea. They can still be seen at low tide.
    There was also an anti submarine net in place, controlled by a steam tug, at the entrerance to Cork harbour. But I can't recall exactly when.
    Last edited by Test Pilot; 9 August 2007, 20:57.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X