No announcement yet.

Coastal Forts in Cork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i remember seening the internment records for spike...from haulbowline in 1986...wonder where they went...this is all; tradition and history..how quick we are to forget this legacy!
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

You'll be happy to hear the Prison officers in Spike, assisted by a few Prisoners, have gone to a lot of trouble to preserve what remains of the fortifications on spike. The Convicts graveyard is also well maintained.

The Gun (only one) at Grey point came from Fort Davis, Formerly known as Fort Carlisle, in Cork Harbour, not far from Roches Point.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Is Spike Island all prison or is any of the Fort open to the public ? Goldie, thanks for the info on the Grey Point gun from the South. Is Fort Davis still there and is it open to the public? I had a good leaflet about Grey Points Guns and all about the one donated by the Irish Government. Can't put my hand on it at the moment. Might have to drive up for another look.
        'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Comment

Hi all...Fort Davis
          The 6-inch gun that remains was last fired, so I was told, in 1971. It was then boarded up after the interrupter-screw breech block, traversing and elevating wheels and sights were removed.They ended up in a storeroom in the Officers' Mess. On one Camp that I attended in 1983, an old Captain brought out the traverse wheel and we opened up the corrugated-iron-and-timber box over the gun and refitted the wheel.The gun traversed like the day it was made! After that, we applied some grease. re-covered the gun and the wheel went back into store. There used to be a complete training breech, on a huge wooden wheeled frame, kept in a shed near the water tower......we were banned from going deep into the galleries or down to the water-lvel gun positions, but our Lieutenant organised a trip down to the moat rifle galleries and the lower 9in position....there were at least two searchlights there.......my grandfather served there and said that a common exercise in WW 2 was to close down the whole Fort and get everyone underground, except for the men on the surface gunposts. He said that it could accomodate at least 500 men and even had provision for horses.
          Great place for exploring.I'd love to get back there for a look-around, if anyone could magic it.
          regards
          GttC

Comment

Fort davis is in almost constant use as a DF FIBUA training location. It is not open to the public.

Spike(Fort Mitchell) is still a prison officially, however it has been closed by the minister. There are however plans to re-open it as a prison to replace the Victorian era Cork Prison in Rathmore Rd.

Comment

Thanks Goldie. Are there any in Dublin or Cork that are. And slightly off subject but is the old Collins Barracks purely a military museum ?

Comment

Collins Barracks Dublin is a national museum. I have no idea whats in there, I understand there is a lot of it devoted to arts and crafts...

However there is a Military Museum in Collins Barracks CORK, which is open to the public on I think monday wednesday and friday.

As for the forts, I suggest Fort Dunree or Duncannon.

Comment

Fort Dunree Military Museum, Co.Donegal

National Museum, Collins Bks, Dublin

There was a UN exhibition there a few years back, very impressive. Not sure how much military history is currently covered but I've heard that the plan is to eventually have a military section in the museum.

Comment

Thank You lads.

Comment

Originally posted by boforgunner
                      nice one groundhog.im sure the aul fella knows where the ventillation shaft enterence is.according to him all the entrences to it were bricked up in the 70s
                      You need to have a chat to my mate from whitegate.
                      Lifes a bitch, so be her pimp!

Comment

Fort Camden, (Fort Meagher) opposite of Fort davis is in Cork County Council ownership. They.ve locked the gates but a caretaker still lives on site. Been running around those tunnels and fortifications since I was 7. (Local Area) There's Late 1800s compressed air torpedo lying on the square in the north west elevation of the fort. As far as I know it was one of the first patented guided missile. Too bad it's not made into a tourist attraction.
                        "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

I did a FIBUA ex in Ft Davis about two years ago. We slept in a magazine and used the fortifications to our advantage, managed to keep a coy strenght attacking force at bay with an over-manned section. Just shows how the British engineers were such geniuses
                          Factories dont burn themselves down, they need help from people like you and me.

Comment

True, however its defences have one major weakness.

Its discovery coincided with the development of the dropping of bombs from aircraft.

Comment

Fort Davis

My first posting thingy!! I was wondering is it possible to get any accurate plans, maps or blueprints of fort Davis with the aim of making a model? All I have to work on at the moment is an aerial sketch of it
                              I can't make you do anything but i can make you wish you had.

Comment

Seeing as its still in use by the DF, probably not because it may be restricted info
                                Factories dont burn themselves down, they need help from people like you and me.

Comment

Working...
                                X