Coastal Forts in Cork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fantastic photos Test Pilot!! Thanks
    "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

• Originally posted by ZULU View Post
      Fantastic photos Test Pilot!! Thanks
      No problem, you're welcome!

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
        I never knew about them!!
        Surely you jest, a man with your encyclopaedic knowledge of the PRC and environs?
        I, along with most of the rest of the infantry, have fond(?) memories of FIBUA in those dank pits.

Comment

• I know the tunnels, I just never saw the gennies. I have seen the rheostats and the searchlights though. Much of that area was verboden when I used to run around Fort Davis.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Great photos, keep 'em coming!
            "Why, it appears that we appointed all of our worst generals to command the armies and we appointed all of our best generals to edit the newspapers. I mean, I found by reading a newspaper that these editor generals saw all of the defects plainly from the start but didn't tell me until it was too late. I'm willing to yield my place to these best generals and I'll do my best for the cause by editing a newspaper"
            Gen. Robert E. Lee

Comment

• Goldie is right...I never saw them either and there's virtually nowhere in Davis I didn't go.We were banned on pain of death from going into the lower levels, especially the accomodation under the gun emplacements around the square.
              regards
              gttC

Comment

• The genny room was the final objective on day one of our FIBUA training the last time I was there.

Comment

• Isn't there maps of Davis and Camden in Collins Bks?

Would be nice to create a picture overlay to the maps. Maybe then, the powers might see what valuable assets they are instead of letting them rot away

Found this cleaning out puter
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by ZULU; 18 April 2007, 13:52.
                  "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

• Here it is in daylight. The caponnier is just visable in the moat.
                    Last edited by Test Pilot; 27 May 2007, 12:26.

Comment

• Are those Gennies In Davis or Camden?

Comment

• The gennies are in Davis. Camden was well cleaned out!

Comment

• A fascinating thread and some great photos, I never realised there was so much in the way of fortifications around Cork. I'm glad to see that at least Spike Island is to be developed as a tourist attraction, it would be nice to see all such sites preserved for future generations.

http://ireland.archiseek.com/news/2007/000109.html

Comment

• Originally posted by farlee View Post
                            A fascinating thread and some great photos, I never realised there was so much in the way of fortifications around Cork. I'm glad to see that at least Spike Island is to be developed as a tourist attraction, it would be nice to see all such sites preserved for future generations.

http://ireland.archiseek.com/news/2007/000109.html
                            Farlee, I totally agree. If these installations were in any other country they would not be in the dilapidated state that they are now. There is a fabulous site called bunker tours, www.bunkertours.com If you are in to the hidden installations around the UK and Europe, you have got to see this site. Most of the main WW2 forts are covered. I have been lost for days trawling through the information. I’ve even been down the sewers in some of the major cities in France, thanks to this site. The other passion I have is mines. Being at sea afforded me the opportunity to research all these areas and when the ship would visit Galway, Castletownbere, Rathmullen or even a foreign port, I would be gone like a march hare ashore. Those that remember me will recall that while on the Peacocks, I had a bicycle that was stored in the fan room on the ST.BD side, complete with a custom made bracket to keep it place in heavy weather. I reckon it had the most mileage any bike ever had, without any tyre wear!

Credit to Cobh Tourism chairman Michael Martin, for spearheading the drive to conserve Spike Island. He was an ex service man too, and he won’t mind me saying he was a ‘book worm’ also! I could never beat him at Scrabble, when we were at sea on the Eithne and it was not until some time later that I discovered that he had read the Scrabble Dictionary and memorized most of it! How could you win!
                            Last edited by Test Pilot; 21 April 2007, 12:47.

Comment

• Got Bored - Went Walk about with a camera through Camden. I'll upload the Photo's to Gallery tonight

Zulu Out

Comment

• Upload them with the rest of the Camden Pics.

Comment

Working...
                                X