No announcement yet.

Coastal Forts in Cork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Done. I have another 40 pics but ahd to borrow camera and didn't have USB to put them on. I'll up load them next weekend.

In the mean time here ye go

Enjoy

"The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

• Nice one Zulu! Every one should be encouraged to do what you just did! It really is our heritage thats disappearing fast.

Comment

• The route I took isn't for the faint hearted!!

Its such a shame. I remember going up and down those tunnels since I was 8 with my friend, and the level of disrepair and overgrowth over the past 16 years is shocking.

The council demolished the barrack billets on the south end outside the fort (Behind Crosshaven GAA club) cause of drug and anti social behaviour. Such a shame. Those yellow brick billets were there since the start of the 18 Century. What does the council do - Bulldoze them

I must take a few pictures of Crosshaven House. It was the home of the Forts CO

Thankfully the house has been privately refurbished into a venue and access to the public is by guided tour

Accommodation Crosshaven House is an elegant eighteenth century country house set in the picturesque village of Crosshaven, overlooking Currabinny Wood and Cork Harbour. It is where the spaciousness and elegance of the Georgian age is combined with the comforts of modern living. The spacious and elegant reception rooms are complimented by the 5 separate suites

Accommodation Crosshaven House is an elegant eighteenth century country house set in the picturesque village of Crosshaven, overlooking Currabinny Wood and Cork Harbour. It is where the spaciousness and elegance of the Georgian age is combined with the comforts of modern living. The spacious and elegant reception rooms are complimented by the 5 separate suites
        Last edited by ZULU; 22 April 2007, 13:28.
        "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

• Some more sample shots of Fort Davis. As you can see from the gun workshop, it was a breach loader, 9.2''.
          Last edited by Test Pilot; 27 May 2007, 12:25.

Comment

• Last three pic's today. Can you read the details off the charge case? I found it in one of the underground spaces.

Comment

• I understand I am one of the last people to have painted the Gun in fort davis. There was two, but the half painted one(we ran out) was donated to the Ulster folk Museum I think.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Nice photos man. When I get over to davis again must check out the gun emplacments.
                As always, too many christians and never enough lions.

Comment

• Having been on Alcatraz recently (I was distinctly underwhelmed by the island, the boat trip out there was impressive though), its clear that Spike offers huge tourist potential.

Done correctly, with the right investment, it could be a very impressive facility. Think boat trip from the quays in Cork in the summer months, couple of hours exploring Spike, back up the harbour past Haulbowline. If people really fancied an exotic experience, they could even stop off in Cobh. Not recommended without body armour though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aidan View Post
                    Having been on Alcatraz recently (I was distinctly underwhelmed by the island, the boat trip out there was impressive though), its clear that Spike offers huge tourist potential.

Done correctly, with the right investment, it could be a very impressive facility. Think boat trip from the quays in Cork in the summer months, couple of hours exploring Spike, back up the harbour past Haulbowline. If people really fancied an exotic experience, they could even stop off in Cobh. Not recommended without body armour though.

Underwhelmed

Alcatraz was brilliant

when you put the head phones on and just hear the sounds that the inmates must have

lived with

wow its a hair standing on the back of your neck time
                    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                    Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

• Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                      Underwhelmed

Alcatraz was brilliant

when you put the head phones on and just hear the sounds that the inmates must have

lived with
                      What sound would that have been? The guy in the top bunk farting?

Comment

• Boatline Cobh-Spike

They should make a regular boat trip to Spike. I think that some people will spend hours on the island, especially those of us who are interested in these old bricks.
                        I once visited Scattery Island, I had no time to visit the old battery -the skipper had to be back in time-
                        Is there a problem in Cobh? The visitor center of the White Star Line is a good thing. There are plans to build something similar in Antwerp (BE) for the Red Star Line. Those people really have to visit Cobh.

Comment

• Don't know, I just didn't get the significance of it. To most of the Americans there it was this hugely historic centre, to me it just felt like a set for a few old films*.

Maybe its because I come from a village where most of the builings are as old as the US itself, but it just seemed like an empty old prison to me. I did get a cool fridge magnet for my girlfriend though. As a complex, or in terms of Heritage, Spike is much more impressive and important. They just need to bring all the guns back!

*Although I got a Taxi around the streets where they filmed Bullitt later. That was cool.

Comment

• I've lived in San Francisco for 5 years and I've never been to Alcatraz.
                            Meh.

Comment

• As a complex, or in terms of Heritage, Spike is much more impressive and important. They just need to bring all the guns back!
                              Here are some of the ones that were taken away from Spike! These were on Haulbowline before being disposed of. Does any one know where they went? I once saw a gun in Cork Metals as scrap! What a disgrace! Who was responsible ?

Comment

• The Guns in those photos became the saluting Battery in Fort Davis. The older(smaller) one is still in storage in Collins Barracks, but is not mounted. I think it is a Hotchkiss 6 Pdr QF. I use a casing for this weapon to hold my spare change.

The Staff in the Former Prison on spike went to a lot of trouble to maintain the facility in the condition they got it in. In fact they tidied up the more historic parts, such as the cemetery, and the underground gun emplacements.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Working...
                                X