Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goldie fish
    replied
    Officially its a 23inf Bn asset. One of their cadre manages it.

Leave a comment:

• boforgunner
    replied
    cork harbour forts visit

hi all.who is the best guy to talk to regarding access to ft davis to photograph it???as its falling to pieces around our ears maybe we better get in quick!!!which unit has responsability for it??any info greatly appreciated

Leave a comment:

• Goldie fish
    replied
    Templebreedy,while still having a Slua Muiri crest at the gate,is now a pitch and putt course.

Leave a comment:

• hptmurphy
    replied
    as far as I know Camden and Templebreedy were acquirred by Cork county Council in about 1986.

Leave a comment:

• DJ Hammy
    Guest replied
    Forts in Cork? Templebreedy Crosshaven

Hi lads, we've all been in Fort Davis, and know that its owned by the DOD, but what about Templebreedy? According to the net this is also owned by the Army, is it still in use? I have vague recollections of it as a child, I just remember it being some way official as regards Garda or Army used it. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Leave a comment:

• Goldie fish
    replied
    The narrow guage is in Camden

Leave a comment:

• boforgunner
    replied
    does anyone have photos of the narrow guage railway at the end of the pier in ft davis?????ive a feeling the torpedo is much further inland than it

Leave a comment:

• yellowjacket
    replied
    The Brennan Torpedo.

Leave a comment:

• Frank Aiken
    Guest replied
    I rember reading back some time ago that there was a irish man who invented a torpedo that was launched from land, and i think it mentioned rails. It would travel about 3 -4 foot under water and a small rod would stay above the water so as it could be seen, and the reason it needed to be seen was because its direction could be controled! The artical said that it was the first guided weapon to be designed, the fellow was from westport i think, it was 1800's some time.

Leave a comment:

• boforgunner
    replied
    or the ship had come too far in and the gun couldnt traverse that far right

Leave a comment:

• yooklid
    replied
    Really? wow. Interesting. I guess it falls under all the last resort of defence approach. I assume that this would only be used if all the guns had been knocked out

Leave a comment:

• Groundhog
    replied
    Did you notice the tracks coming out of the tunnels in Camden and disappearing into the sea. Apparently the plan was to launch torpedos on railway flatcars at ships entering the harbour. The cars were simply tto be rolled into the sea and the torp goes on it's merry way.

Leave a comment:

• yellowjacket
    replied
    Camden has the remains of the railway tracks on its pier, and they go into the underground tunnels.

Leave a comment:

• yooklid
    replied
    Which one has the underground narrow guage railway for moving ammo?

Leave a comment:

• Thorpe
    replied
    Ive been are under the underground passages in Fort Berehaven at the back of the camp and the are class. Would have to watch footing and know where you were going. Really class

Leave a comment:

Working...
X