Star shaped fort

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star shaped fort

South of Waterford, just south of Lackenroad is (was) a star shaped fort. Had the building of the Waterford Outer Ring Road any effect on this fort? What is the name and history of this fort?

No the outer ring road goes no where near the site..the Outer ring road emerges beyond Butlerstown...wasn't aware of that site..any chance of a grid reference?
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

The grid reference is IS 589 076 on OS 76. Perhaps it is a fort constructed by Cromwell at the siege of Waterford. I saw such a fort (partition) at Galway: Bollingbroke fort.

Comment

There is also a similar fort in cork. It is the site of the Garda barracks on the aptly named Barrack street. It is from the 16th century i believe.
        Trouble, Trouble, I tried to chase trouble but its chasing me.
        Trouble, trouble, trouble with a capitol T
        do do do do do do do da do do do. etc etc......

Comment

Elizabeth Fort. Staging point of the British Army who were on their way to fight in the American war of Independance(Gunpowder from Ballincollig was also used there)

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

What was the average number of troops based at Elizabeth Fort?
            What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish
              Elizabeth Fort. Staging point of the British Army who were on their way to fight in the American war of Independance(Gunpowder from Ballincollig was also used there)
              Thats the one. You can only really see its features from the proby's quay side of it. From barrack street it just looks like an old wall. And i don't see the local sgt giving guided tours of the place. Pity.

Comment

Its a work in Progress. The Garda station only occupies the house straight up from the arch,and the upper floor. The rest are private houses, the property of the Dept of Justice.

OPW are currently renovating the walls. They used to have tours of the walls before the work started.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Cool. I must have a look when i can. Some view from up there i'd imagine.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish
                    Elizabeth Fort.
                    Detailed map here http://www.corkpastandpresent.ie/cor...aps_1845.shtml

Some other good maps here: http://www.corkpastandpresent.ie/corkimages/maps.shtml including Collins (then Victoria).
                    Last edited by Victor; 8 May 2006, 05:11.
                    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead

Comment

Working...
                    X