Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beggars Bush Barracks

Hi,

Anyone ever in Beggars Bush Barracks in Dublin? It has been transformed and handed over to one of the other depts. Outside is (according to my dad) inverted Russian cannons linked by chains. Apparently these Cannons were captured from the Russians during the Crimean war. Is this true? Does anyone know any more about this? Should they be dug up and refurbished and perhaps presented to the Russians/Ukranians as a diplomatic courtesy?

Apparently one of our old Churchill tanks was buried in the Glen, Dug up and then refurbished and presented to the British Army? Is this true?

-Y
    Meh.

it was the first barracks given to the defence forces from the brits.. i was on the ceremonial anniversary (75th?)
    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Cool... when did it cease to be an actual DF installation?

I've always been curious about these small barracks that litter the country and obviously existed just to keep the natives in check. Another little place that always had my attention since I was a nipper was the magazine fort in the Phoenix Park. My Dad said he went in once and it was just full of old beds. I think that the theft of the ammunition from it by the IRA during "The Emergency" sealed its fate as a useful installation.

-Y
      Meh.

Comment

I remember the story as told ... the Irish marched in ... and the Brits shook hands and marched out.
        "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

They shook hands? That was nice of them.
          Meh.

Comment

Beggars Bush Barracks isn't so little! I was brought up there spent the first 17 years of my life there. There were still six army families living there until the 1960s. If you visit it notice that it is partitioned - originally it included the blocks that became Corporation Flats. It was the first HQ of the army and Erskine Childers was shot there during the Civil War. I found some old photographs in the National Photographic Archive of the Barracks pre-1922. Unfortunately there are none of the exterior or main gate with those cannon. I could send copies to anyone specially interested.

Comment

Wasn't it at one stage one of the auto-pounds, for Dublin South, I believe. Anyone who got their car towed in the late 80's-early 90's would have paid a little visit here. After that I think the Dept of Labour took it over and may even still be there. I think it was a Labour Court for industrial mediation/arbitration or something like that.

Also in the neighbourhood "The Beggars Bush" pub. Right across the street actually. For years billed itself as having the cheapest and best pint of stout in the city. Spent many's the "historical" Saturday afternoon in here. It was so cheap that you had to drink even more. Sure weren't you saving money by drinking in here!!!!!!! :D

Later.
              No-one, I think, is in my tree...

Comment

its the labour court, rights commisioner and a small museum (possable old printing machines) now.

Comment

Keep the cannons, we captured them fair and square!! (assuming it was an Irish Regiment that captured them).

the same goes for any captured colours that are in any barracks around the country, captured guns and colours are a significant battle honour, to hand them back would be a crying shame.

Comment

The use of old cannons as bollards was common enough in the UK, so it's not beyond the realms of possibility that the practice went on over here as well.
                    "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

Yeah, but I think that they should be at least dug up. Providing my dad was telling the truth/not quoting legend and they actually ARE cannons. Can anyone stop by and take a look?
                      Meh.

Comment

I was over that way to day and had a look around. its been nicely done up and is in very good condition. The only drawback is the huge four or five storey block housing the labour relations commission and the labour court. Some very good drawing of it during the British times are available on the Barrack Plans section of the Military archives Website. http://mpdsearch.militaryarchives.ie...w_terms_of_use. The old gym is now the Irish Print Museum. There are also a number of apartments both in some of the original block and in the very tastefully done modern buildings. It was very interesting looking around haveing studied what the building were used for by the army on the military archives website. The Guard rooms either side of the gate are obvious. The long block to the right as you go in the gate was the Officers Mess with two cield Officers suites and some single rooms. The other block to the left was officers quarters. The large building across the square was basically the HQ block with a CO's office, orderly room etc. behind that is the modern eyesore of the labour court which is built on the old drill square. behind that again is waht was once the cook house and dinning halls for the soldiers. The large number of chimneys on the central building give an indication of the stoves which would have been in there. There is a walled off section only accessible from the shelbourne road side which has the old Sergeants Mess and some of the married quarter. This now appears to be senior citizens housing.

Comment

Front: http://maps.google.ie/maps?q=Shelbou...145.34,,0,1.55

Side: http://maps.google.ie/maps?q=Shelbou...,295.49,,0,4.2

Oblique: http://binged.it/P8bpv2

Composite oblique http://maps.google.ie/maps?q=Shelbou...ublin&t=h&z=20

Historical: http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,717555,733184,7,9

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead

Comment

Working...
                          X