mount street bridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mount street bridge

hi, just want to post a question out. i was just wondering does anybody know what issue of an cosantoir had the article about the battle of mount street bridge and where could i possibly get a copy? thanks

Why not try DF public relations, send them an e-mail and they should help. Failing that contact Àn Cosantòir themselves and they'll tell you.
    It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

April/May 2006 An Cosantoir

The following post was found in a Google cache.

Comment

Old Today, 15:41
        DeV

1916 -v- modern FIBUA

Quote from April/May 2006 An Cosantoir:

"The Defence Forces' Brigade Operations Manual indicates that at least battalion strength is required to defens an area comparable to that held by the Volunteers in the famous battle of Mount Street Bridge and Northumberland Road. However, in that battle in 1916 less than a dozen volunteers held off two British battalion-size forces for almost nine hours and inflicted 234 causalities, before the action ended. Among the lessons to be learned here relate to planning, ambush and the skills of the sniper, coupled with the will to fight - the belief in one's cause can often be enough to hold the day or at least cause havoc in the enemy force."
        DeV
        View Public Profile
        Send a private message to DeV
        Find More Posts by DeV

Old Today, 18:06
        Truck Driver
        Lieutenant

Quote:
        Originally Posted by DeV
        Quote from April/May 2006 An Cosantoir:

"The Defence Forces' Brigade Operations Manual indicates that at least battalion strength is required to defens an area comparable to that held by the Volunteers in the famous battle of Mount Street Bridge and Northumberland Road. However, in that battle in 1916 less than a dozen volunteers held off two British battalion-size forces for almost nine hours and inflicted 234 causalities, before the action ended. Among the lessons to be learned here relate to planning, ambush and the skills of the sniper, coupled with the will to fight - the belief in one's cause can often be enough to hold the day or at least cause havoc in the enemy force."

You've obviously been reading your current issue of An Cosantóir then

There has been several instances of this since, e.g; the Russian defence of Stalingrad
        during WWII, and the German defence of Berlin at the end of the war. Indeed the
        Russians' snipers caused mayhem in Stalingrad. Vassily Zaitsev (as played by Jude Law
        in "Enemy At The Gates") won a Hero Of The Soviet Union award for bravery, and I
        read somewhere that his sniper rifle is on permanent dispaly in a Russian museum
        somewhere.

Bizarrely enough, I've just seen that Zaitsev started his military career in the Navy, but
        ended the war in the rank of Captain.

(see Zaitsev Here...).
        Truck Driver
        View Public Profile
        Send a private message to Truck Driver
        Find More Posts by Truck Driver

Old Today, 20:21
        yellowjacket
        Potential Liability

I think it also helps when the enemy displays a wonderful disregard for common sense, trying repeated frontal attacks on a well defended position, when there were undefended bridges available just up the road.
        With 50,000 men getting killed a week, who's going to miss a pigeon?

Guns don't kill people, bullets kill people.
        yellowjacket
        View Public Profile
        Send a private message to yellowjacket
        Send email to yellowjacket
        Find More Posts by yellowjacket

Old Today, 21:15
        HavocIRL
        Nails, Hard as

Quote:
        Originally Posted by yellowjacket
        I think it also helps when the enemy displays a wonderful disregard for common sense, trying repeated frontal attacks on a well defended position, when there were undefended bridges available just up the road.

Since when has common sense ever had anything to do with military thinking?

Comment

Hi there
          Such lack of sense happens often;an example would be the SS at Falaise, getting mown down in droves whilst charging Allied machine-guns or the Japanese at Imphal. I've just read of one Gurkha who personally killed 31 out of 87 Japanese found dead after a savage battle for a jungle path, blocked by a foxhole manned by three Gurkhas . Two were put out of action by a hail of grenades and the third guy was riddled with splinters. He continued to fight despite having most of his right hand blown off by a grenade, which was the third enemy grenade he had thrown back! He was found, unconscious, with the enemy piled up around him. He had been firing his Enfield from the left shoulder, cocking it with his good left hand and resting the stock on his ruined hand to take aim. Upon his recovery, he was awarded the VC.
          With regard to the Stalingrad reference above, one house was held by a platoon led by a sergeant. They fought off continuous attacks, often led by tanks and often assisted by flamethrowers and direct-fire artillery and even Stuka attacks. They killed a huge amount of the enemy, even when entirely surrounded and were never defeated.
          Just goes to show, even small forces can have an effect out of all proportion to their size.
          regards
          Gttc

Comment

nope joshua i was talking about an older an cosantoir 2004/2005. the whole article was on mount street bridge and gives a day to day account of the actions.

Comment

Thanks for trying Joshua however I was not specific in my enquiry.

An Cosantoir
              The Defence Forces Magazine,
              DFHQ, Parkgate, Dublin 8. Tel: 01 8042691 Fax 01 6779018
              E-mail ancosantoir@defenceforces.iol.ie

Comment

I'll check the back issues of an cosantoir for you in the ucc library later. That sounds like an interesting article.
                Trouble, Trouble, I tried to chase trouble but its chasing me.
                Trouble, trouble, trouble with a capitol T
                do do do do do do do da do do do. etc etc......

Comment

Isnt google spider great. How much more of the site can it recover I wonder?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

We could get back up to date maybe
                    What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

hi found it. it was the februray 2005 issue. the title of the article is "a lesson from history" and it is well worth the read happenin.

Comment

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner
                        Hi there
                        Such lack of sense happens often;an example would be the SS at Falaise, getting mown down in droves whilst charging Allied machine-guns or the Japanese at Imphal. I've just read of one Gurkha who personally killed 31 out of 87 Japanese found dead after a savage battle for a jungle path, blocked by a foxhole manned by three Gurkhas . Two were put out of action by a hail of grenades and the third guy was riddled with splinters. He continued to fight despite having most of his right hand blown off by a grenade, which was the third enemy grenade he had thrown back! He was found, unconscious, with the enemy piled up around him. He had been firing his Enfield from the left shoulder, cocking it with his good left hand and resting the stock on his ruined hand to take aim. Upon his recovery, he was awarded the VC.
                        With regard to the Stalingrad reference above, one house was held by a platoon led by a sergeant. They fought off continuous attacks, often led by tanks and often assisted by flamethrowers and direct-fire artillery and even Stuka attacks. They killed a huge amount of the enemy, even when entirely surrounded and were never defeated.
                        Just goes to show, even small forces can have an effect out of all proportion to their size.
                        regards
                        Gttc
                        I remember reading about one German MG which destroyed a British battalion on the first day of the Somme.
                        "Hello, Good Evening and Bollocks..."

Roger Mellie

Comment

towards the end of ww1 german rearguards of one mg with superb crews held up many battallions for hours and inflicted massive losses , the house in stalingrad was held by a sgt pavlov who became a hero of the soviet union a bit of a russian celebrityafter the war,
                          likewise a german tank ace held up a british unit for hours on d day , a good position , training and a well motivated defender is a hard nut to crack
                          "take a look to the sky right before you die, its the last time you will"

Comment

Originally posted by coffee
                            hi found it. it was the februray 2005 issue. the title of the article is "a lesson from history" and it is well worth the read happenin.
                            That particular issue was gone from the library when i went up Bastards. Who needs to take it home when you can just sit down beside the shelf and read to your hearts content. Bastardo's.
                            Trouble, Trouble, I tried to chase trouble but its chasing me.
                            Trouble, trouble, trouble with a capitol T
                            do do do do do do do da do do do. etc etc......

Comment

Try Cork City Library...

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Working...
                              X